Short Ride In Colorado On Sat

Guest Rollingmenace

Guest Rollingmenace

Nothing to exciting took the vfr out for a short ride from Colorado Springs to Wetmore via hwy 115.. About 100 miles or so.... This was my first ride on the new bike... Bike ran well I think it could use a bit of tuning on the PC2 but overall it ran good... Only issue I came across was a jenky turn signal switch... The route was clear and had a few small twisties but nothing major we avoided the mountains due to the recent weather .. Didn't want to hit any snow or ice and they get a little carried away with the sand trucks in this area.... The weather was sunny but cool 38* f to 48*f ... I did hit 120mph at about 39* ... Theta all the faster I was comfortable pushing it on the bike at this time... I rode with a co worker he was on a ninja 636 2008 or so... His bike seems a lot quicker than the VFR but mine was built for comfort... Here are a few poser pics in the parking lot where we stopped for lunch... Not a lot of great scenery on this trip especially in 40* weather.....

post-28836-0-93388500-1387124558.jpg

post-28836-0-89445800-1387125463.jpg

post-28836-0-73629500-1387125486.jpg

• Member Contributer

Good for you getting out and riding...

Today is absolutely beautiful outside 64 degrees and sunny...by far the best day we've had in quite a while and I'm stuck in the damn clinic. Tomorrow and Wed are supposed to be nice too, but ditto for me...ugh!

• Forum CEO

I know that gas station! - its in Penrose right? You went up Past the Prison and back? Too bad the best part is all choked up with winter, just a few more miles to Bishops castle but thats all probably iced up right now. I love that run, just only with no ice or cold. Too bad I did not run it at all last year, I suppose thats on the menu for Spring then. I always considered the ride Starts where you ended it, the "slab" you did doesn't count for me. But then again @ 128 mph it is much more interesting, my old friend Craig used to say if the road is boring your not going fast enough. The only problem with that is those pesky State Patrol guys that seem to pop up in the least expected places on hwy 115.

Me and my buddy Jack found a nice brewery in Cannon City so well that run is not so bad anymore if you cant do the icy parts because of winter. I havent found a really good place to eat in that area, well not significantly good. Usually when I do that run I head into Bishops Castle and keep going to Colorado City then eat lunch at Max's right there at the interstate, that way my married buddies can bail out and head home to wives if the Kitchen pass has expired, the rest of us turn around and do the BC run backwards then head over to Westcliff to continue the journey - then whip over to hwy 50 at Texas Creek. That used to be a fun run till the hwy 50 traffic got so jam packed, late in the evening in the summer its great, but they tar snaked the hell out of it now it sucks, I dont like pushing it on tar snakes. I would even be grateful if the CDOT would just chip seal it - it would suck for a month or so but the traffic is so thick the loose chip would be trampled down in no time. It would be better just with new asphalt but well they would rather spend the money doing something in Denver. Then turn off up hwy 9 and head north to High Park Road and take that over to Cripple Creek, around to Victor that little 5 mile run is fun too. Then around Pikes Peak over to Woodland Park then Ute pass on home. 300 miles round trip.

Full Size

Archived