Questions On 5Th Gen Fork Respring/rebuild For Fat Guy

Mojave

I recently picked up a '99 VFR with 35K miles on the clock. Overall it appears to be in pretty good shape, but I would bet the forks have never been serviced. The seals aren't leaking. The front end feels fine, but it is way too soft for me. I weigh about 375 lbs with gear. I'm not a very aggresive rider: just used on the street with some very mild corner carving.

I have a pair of Sonic Springs 1.1 kg/mm springs left over from a first gen SV650. Some poking around on Racetech and Sonic Springs sites says the 5th gen VFR uses the same springs. I was currently planning on installing these springs, with new oil, bushings and seals. What fork oil should I use? Do I need to do a valving change? Anything else I should change while the forks are apart?

Thanks for any suggestions.

• Member Contributer

Fork oils vary in terms of viscosity I generally try to use a 10 weight for heavier applications ,your springs should be great with this change of oil .It will defininately feel a lot firmer .

• Member Contributer

I weigh 205 naked, and have a 1300lb spring on the rear of my 5th gen. It rails. I previously had a 1100lb spring on it, and thought that was good until the 1300 came along. The difference was more than from stock to 1100.

Damping adjustments are worthless until you have the correct spring rate.

Fork oils vary in terms of viscosity I generally try to use a 10 weight for heavier applications ,your springs should be great with this change of oil .It will defininately feel a lot firmer .

I think stock is a 5w, which I suspected would be too light for these springs. I wasn't sure if 10w would be enough, or I would need to step up to something heavier.

I weigh 205 naked, and have a 1300lb spring on the rear of my 5th gen. It rails. I previously had a 1100lb spring on it, and thought that was good until the 1300 came along. The difference was more than from stock to 1100.

Damping adjustments are worthless until you have the correct spring rate.

I agree that getting the spring rates right first is important, however right now I'm focusing on the forks. Once I get them at least close I'll take a look at the rear.

• Member Contributer

Take a moment to look through the suspension threads under the modifications section. There is a huge amount of info on fork and shock suspension upgrades including suggested spring rates, and fluids. If you need to have to have the forks overhauled you could also look at sending them out to Jamie Daugherty, http://www.daughertymotorsports.com/. I have not used him personally but others have on this forum seemed to be happy with his services. He also has mods for the rear shock.

I agree that getting the spring rates right first is important, however right now I'm focusing on the forks. Once I get them at least close I'll take a look at the rear.

I did the front first on mine first as well. It only made the rear feel worse.

Archived