G'day, I'm New Here!

Guest AussieVFnewbie

Guest AussieVFnewbie

Gday everyone.

Found this forum after researching a bike i just brought home.

I work in a scrap metal yard, and i see a lot of interesting things getting scrapped..... but when a VF750F rolled in, well, lets just say after a bit of sweet talking the boss, I saved her from the shredder and the start of a little resto project.

This is my first ever bike, I dont even have my full licence to even ride it if i could, but im good at turning spanners and can do my own paint & panel work so am going to fix her up as a bit of a side project until i can legally ride it.

So thats what leads me to being here...... To ask all the dumb questions on fixing up the old girl and hopefully finding some of the parts that she is missing.

So, to start off with, how about some pics?? (warning, shes nothin flash)

null_zps7cb1fec5.jpg

null_zpsde1f98a0.jpg

null_zpsdaaefa2f.jpg

null_zps99fbf90f.jpg

and after removing the tank and fairings

null_zps402280f2.jpg

null_zps3c72d987.jpg

null_zpsf5bcbc5e.jpg

parts missing: (that ive noticed so far)

* front brake calipers & brackets

* carbies and airbox

* clutch cover

* clutch lever

* fuse cover

* ignition keys

* front fairing around headlight

if you see anything else please let me know!

will be a slow project but will post updates as much as i can

cheers, thanks for having me

Dave

• Member Contributer

Welcome to VFRD from the nothern hemisphere :beer: (euh are you of legal drinking age at least??? :goofy: )

That VF will buff out with lots of TLC.........

Gday Dutchy!

Yeah been legal age for a few years now mate, but only just started getting into bikes about 12 months ago, im 32 and just starting off with motorcycles, better late than never tho right???

Been playing with cars for many years and my current project is going on 8yrs so sar and i dont do things by halves.

A mate and I are doing the VF together (well me mostly) but we have a few ideas rattling around.

• Member Contributer

Welcome Dave, and congrats on your first bike. You should be able to find everything on your list, but it will take some time. Scour your local classified ads, Craig's List, and of course, eBay. There are also a bunch of great guys here in the forum that will be happy to help in any way that they can. Keep us posted on your progress.

Tom

G'day Dave. Welcome, and good luck with the restoration project!

Have you checked to see if there are any problems with registering the bike? Ie: stolen, written off, financial encumberances, etc? I wouldn't want you to put in a heap of hard work and hard earned cash, only to find out that you can't register it, or worse yet, someone takes it away from you.

I'm in Melbourne, by the way. Which neck of the woods are you from?

• Member Contributer

Welcome Dave. You've certainly got your work cut out for you. Like the guys have said, keep an eye on ebay and maybe Gumtree for your parts. This guy is wrecking one at the moment, so may have some bits you need: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/221191634053?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT. He's just down the road a bit from you. You're going to have to hunt around a bit for that fairing. I found getting parts for my (rarer) 1000R easier than sourcing stuff for my 750 for some odd reason, but hang in there.

I think you'll find you're after an alternator cover rather than a clutch cover. The clutch is on the right side of the motor. You might also need to replace the alternator. It looks pretty manky after all that exposure.

Look forward to seeing your work.

oh, and let me know if you need a manual/parts fiche pdf?

cheers

ian

thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

Dannytb.... I havent checked yet the history of the bike, but will do now that you have mentioned it.

Ian.... yes a PDF manual would be fantastic! Thanks for clearing up my mistake about the alternator too :happy:

Im near Brisbane QLD too btw :beer:

Plans for the bike are to turn her into more of a naked, ditch the square headlight for a round unit etc. Have a few ideas for a colour scheme too but it may upset the purists. In saying that, i did notice someone here had one done in the factory colours with white newer wheels and that looked shit hot in my opinion, but my mate has a thing for street fighters and rides (dare i say it here lol) a kwaka ZX10R.

One thing im a little worried about is the condition of the engine and box. The box seems to select gears fine but i havent had the chance to try and turn the motor over and with the carbies missing and her being out in the weather for god knows how long, im preparred to do an engine teardown for a freshed up. Ive built engines before but never a motorcycle engine so am keen for a challenge....

• Member Contributer

Ian.... yes a PDF manual would be fantastic! Thanks for clearing up my mistake about the alternator too :happy:

You're welcome fella :wink:

PM sent.

cheers

ian

haha, no progress unfortunatly.... lot of other side projects on the go.... mostly the house, getting it ready for sale, not fun finishing of renovations!!!

so will be dribs and drabs with updates but i promise that when i do, i will have the camera ready with plenty of pics to share!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

haha, no progress unfortunatly.... lot of other side projects on the go.... mostly the house, getting it ready for sale, not fun finishing of renovations!!!

so will be dribs and drabs with updates but i promise that when i do, i will have the camera ready with plenty of pics to share!

Hang in there ...

• 4 weeks later...

unfortunately, im going to have to sell the old girl. Lost my job a couple of weeks ago and christmas pressure ive been forced to sell :(

Here is a link to the classified ad if anyone is interested.

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/classifieds/item/2355-1983-vf750f-brisbane-australia/

I have enjoyed my time here and everyone here are great people, wish it didnt have to come to this tho :(

Archived