Ground Wire On Third Gen

On the project bike I am working on, it appears the main ground off the right side of the bike is missing 'half' of it's wire.

The wire itself is green and attached to the frame via a 10mm bolt. It is a 'two part' wire. By that I mean half of the wire comes from the rear of the bike out of the wiring harness, and half comes from the front of the bike out of the harness.

The part that comes from the front of the bike appears 'goopie' and frail. Parts of it also appear to be out of it's casing. The wire itself is bare until about 6" or so inside the loom,

OR

it just appears that way from me tracing it back. My question is this

What does this ground wire 'ground', and how do I properly repair it? Shrink wrap and solder? I'll post a picture of it as soon as I can, but I figured I'd take a stab at an answer this way.

• Member Contributer

A picture would greatly help. Sounds like a previous post a bit ago about the ground wire. Solder and heat shrink are a good idea.

• Member Contributer

As you proably know, the original grounding with the VFR leaves some to be desired, so if you went a little overboard adding grounds here and there, it wouldn't be a bad thing.

Some people will argue the best way to replace wires (crimp vs. solder), but I think it comes done to do what what your good at. If your equally as good, then Yoshi's probably right. Just use good heat shrink.

As to what it grounds, you can trace it using the schematics from the manual in the download section.

"Goopie and frail" = replace.

Archived