Pair Valve, Again, Sorry!

tigger390

Question

I have been reading many posts over the last week about disabling the PAIR system. I have an 02 VTEC ABS (UK model) which is completely standard other than the flapper disabled. As I am still running the standard exhaust, do I take it the only benefit of removing it and fitting blanking plates is the removal of excess plumbing under the airbox? Or will I notice a difference in the way the bike runs?

Thanks, and as I said sorry to resurect a much discussed topic.

Nigel.

6 answers to this question

• Member Contributer

I didn't notice any change in the way my bike ran but the removal of the PAIR system stop a popping sound I would sometimes get at red lights. After removed and inspected mine the reed valve looking things were both cracked.

• Member Contributer

My personal take is that if you are going to do more mods (engine/exhaust) or if like in Switchblades case, suffer from popping noises, then by all means removal of the PAIR valve would be worthwhile. This especially becomes true if you are planning on installing a Power Commander or similar device and getting a "proper" Dynotune, as the PAIR valve does interfere with the sensor readings. There are some who have used marbles to plug the PAIR lines and left everything intact which makes it easier to "restore" the bike to stock condition. That being said, there is not proof that I have seen that shows removal of the PAIR valve dramatically increased the HP of the bike and magically transformed the bike into a "killer". It is often sometimes found that after the PAIR removal, your engine idle may change, but that is easily fixed by turning the engine idle adjustment accordingly.

Cheers

My personal take is that if you are going to do more mods (engine/exhaust) or if like in Switchblades case, suffer from popping noises, then by all means removal of the PAIR valve would be worthwhile. This especially becomes true if you are planning on installing a Power Commander or similar device and getting a "proper" Dynotune, as the PAIR valve does interfere with the sensor readings. There are some who have used marbles to plug the PAIR lines and left everything intact which makes it easier to "restore" the bike to stock condition. That being said, there is not proof that I have seen that shows removal of the PAIR valve dramatically increased the HP of the bike and magically transformed the bike into a "killer". It is often sometimes found that after the PAIR removal, your engine idle may change, but that is easily fixed by turning the engine idle adjustment accordingly.

Cheers

I have no plans to change the exhaust as I have other 'noisy/tuned' bikes and this is intended to be a 'quiet' tourer for me and the misses. I may in the future add a power commander with custom map to smooth out the fuelling, but have no plans to change the exhausts.

This is why I wonder whether or not to bother. I do think it would make air box removal easier tho!

I unplugged a two wire connector (Orange and Green wires) behind the rear cylinder that supposedly disconnects PAIR valve functions. It takes a minute to disconnect or reconnect. I did the PAIR and Flapper at the same time and there is a noticable different in smoothness below 5000 rpm. My bike is a completely stock 2003.

I used these instructions. No idea, other than results, if they are correct. http://johnny.chadda.se/article/pair-and-flapper-mod-with-bonus-snorkel-mod-for-vfr/

idk about the 6th gens, but my 3/4/5th gens were much easier to work on without the PAIR in there. It was just a pain to work around the tubing etc. It wasn't a huge difference, but it seemed that every time I needed a certain angle, the PAIR was there, just in the way.

Archived