Exhaust Leak?

auggius

• Member Contributer

So my '95 has been sounding decidely very un-VFR like lately. It's loud even though it's got stock muffler. I first noticed it a few weeks ago that I could hear myself at speed (I wear earplugs) and thought, is that me? Yep it is. Bike performance hasn't changed, fuel mileage same, doesn't stall or run roughly.

I took some pictures under my bike looking for an oil leak a couple of months ago and looked through them again. I noticed that one of the pipe connectors is oily, while the other is clean and dry. So is this clear evidence of an exhaust leak?

post-1774-0-43774000-1378145637.jpg

post-1774-0-63917500-1378145673.jpg

• Member Contributer

The Honda manua says there is a gasket there. Couldn't comfirm that the part you linked is right though. I found a post in another thread in which the writer says that that was the source of his exhaust leak due to lifting the front with a jack.

My 98 suffered from poor fueling and intense back firing when I discovered my rear header pipes had a huge exhaust leak where they connect to the main exhaust pipe collector. (Not the slip on connection.) There are two clamps there. Loosen the exhaust canister mounting bolt or bolts depending on your slip on style. lift upwards and see if it feels loose. The exhaust gaskets at these locations get worn out from the lower header pipes being used as a support when removing the front tire or forks. You can take off the heat shield near the right foot peg heal gaurd to access these connections if you suspect an exhaust leak. Start up the bike and listen and for excess noise at this location for starters. Think I paid $15 each for new gaskets. Haven't put them in yet as the aluminum can shim I made is still working.

I'm much more carefull in how I support the front end during maininance these days. Hanging it from the garage rafters with a stout tie down does the trick now along with the center stand. :fing02:

If you aren't getting a flashing FI warning light I don't think it's the map sensor.

Will do some more investigating, but other than the noise, is there any harm being done to the engine?

• Member Contributer

I've never replaced that gasket in all these years so it still might be leaking there. I never even knew there was one there for a long time!

• Member Contributer

Pulled the bodywork and went hunting for the exhaust leak with an incense. Pretty sure it is not the muffler connection nor the pipe connections under the engine, partly because the smoke didn't indicate it and the noise wasn't coming from there. It sounds like it is coming from behind the right side of the frame. So looked in there and there is a fair bit of oil on the engine case just below the right exhaust header. Stuck the incense in there and it's hard to get a clear indication from what I am seeing. Could be blowing around a bit, not sure. I guess I need to dig in there some more or bring it into the dealer to look at. So again I ask, aside from the noise, is it harming the engine at all?

• Member Contributer

Does it rattle at idle? I found that the copper crush gaskets (part number 2) at the rear cyclinder subpipe and the main pipe assembly were in pretty bad condition on my '95 when I first bought it. The two pipe sections rattled against each other because there was no cushioning effect from the gasket, as well there was an exhaust leak noise from there too. It also kinda lines up with your description of hearing the noise from the right rear of the frame.

I rode the bike most of the riding season without fixing it, the rattling was the most annoying part, beyond that the bike ran totally fine.

honda-vfr750f-1995-england-exhaust-muffl

• Member Contributer

Nope, doesn't sound like a rattle. Just louder, like a less restrictive muffler was on. It doesn't sound bad and some people pay good money to have a little more noise. But I actually prefer the silence of the stock setup. Anyway, just got back from a Kaslo to New Denver to Slocan ride and the bike ran fine. Had to make a stop though to tighten the exhaust mounting bolt and nut. I was riding along when I suddenly remembered that I had forgotten to re-tighten it from my earlier work. Luckily no hardware was missing.

• Member Contributer

Umm... Jealous. Actually my Dad was riding through there today on his Multistrada, I wish I could have joined.

I saw a rider on a Multistrada as I walked home up the hill around noon. He would have been riding downhill after turning off the highway from New Denver and heading into downtown Kaslo. Was that him?

• Member Contributer

Cool. Hope he had a great day riding. There wasn't much traffic out there. I only encountered about 3 cars all the way to Slocan. A bit more traffic on the return leg, but no complaints. Let me know when you are coming this way. Would really like to see your bike.

• Member Contributer

There is ALWAYS a 1st!!!!!

Incense to look for a leak, never heard of that!

Which flavour did you use? Patchouli? Vanilla? Nag Champa? :goofy:

Archived