Huge Problem

artee

Hi

This plug has been in since the last service 1000 miles ago.

Running on three cylinders for all the time I've had it. I haven't ridden another bike for years, let alone a vfr700, so no comparison.

No spark. Swapped coils, leads etc.. nothing.

Conclusion is the cdi unit is fubar'd.

Any one out there got one for an 87 f2? And ship to the UK.

Thanks

Roger

20130901_162215_zpscf2fe4b5.jpg

• Member Contributer

Just a suggestion that you may have tried already but not sure, so I'll mention any way. Could it be that the spark plug itself is bad?? I had a bad plug on my old truck once a long time ago and I did everything I could to figure out why the thing was running rough, only to discover that the plug itself was broken inside somewhere. Changed the plug and then it fired up perfectly.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

• Member Contributer

...or a fueling issue to that cylinder. I'm not certain how the fuel is dispersed in you particular engine but it might be possible that that particular cylinder isn't being fueled. A plug that sparks with no fuel present will also look clean. Just an idea....

• Member Contributer

Have you googled the part number? I found a used ecm for mine that way (they retail for 900$) on a classifieds listing.

Jesse

If you can't find a working cdi, Carmo electronics in the Netherlands repairs motorcycle electronics.

But have you checked the wiring and al the connectors ? checked if the ignition coil works ?

interchange the coil with the coil from a working cilinder and try again. Check for broken wires.

• Member Contributer

Don't each of the CDI units supply spark to a pair of plugs? I'd expect it's matching plug to also not fire if that's the case?

Sorry. Got nothing else.

cheers

ian

• Member Contributer

you swapped the wires.. are they in the right spot? are the wires to the coil getting power?

there are breaker yards all over the UK.

pm sent for a wiring tip..

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Yes, each CDI box and each coil supply spark for 2 cylinders....so if you have spark on 3 cylinders the pick up coils, cdi boxes and coils are working....check the connections where the spark plug wire connects to the coil and the spark plug.

Number 2 and 4 cylinders share the same coils and CDI box and the number 1 and 3 cylinders share the other coil and CDI box. (which you can see they are shared looking at the coils)

When the number one spark plug sparks the number 3 spark plug sparks at the same time and vise versa. There is a term for that but can't think of it of course.

Archived