93 Vfr Engine Temp

Guest bigkahuda

Guest bigkahuda

Hello, the temp gauge on my '93 VFR was not registering a change after running for awhile so I tested the gauge and it passed so I replaced the sensor with a new Honda unit. Now the gauge moves, but it takes a very long time (10-15 minutes of riding) just to move about 1/4". Where on the gauge should the needle be after a normal warm-up is achieved? I've even had it hot enough to activate the radiator fan and the gauge is somewhere around 25%. Is this normal?

Thanks for the help!

• Member Contributer

Someone else who's actually riding can confirm, but I think mine was below 1/2 at leisure riding on a 70-80F day.

If you let the bike sit and idle after a ride, does it go up?

So, I had the same issue with my 93. In the end, I replaced the thermostat and sensor unit. Now my gauge sits at around 1/2 on normal days. On hot days it can get up to about 2/3 to 3/4, but as soon as the fan kicks on, it goes back to about 1/2.

• Member Contributer

i ditched my gauge long ago.. i just took the thermostat out and cut off the spring plunger bit and put it back in.

yes it takes an extra 2 min to get up to normal.

but i now never have to worry about over heating in start stop traffic. unless the fan goes on me. :wink:

• Member Contributer

My 91 hovers around 1/4 most of the time. Only in sitting traffic does it go higher. Fan comes on at about 3/4.

• Member Contributer

Not just yet. If your bike sits at 1/4 during riding that may be fine. What you need to do is try to get your bike to overheat. If you can't get those temps up to 3/4 or past, then you have an issue.

Should have asked earlier, but, did you replace the sensor with the OEM Honda part or an aftermarket one?

Archived