What's The Latest Take On Platinum And Iridium Plugs For Vfrs?

Beck

Are we getting any real good out of using platinum or Iridium tipped plugs on our VFRs??

I went to the dealership this weekend to pick up some new plugs to hopefully cure a slight misfire on my 4th gen, and they did not have the usual platinum tipped plugs I have been using on the bike since when it was new. As the platinum plugs were not in stock, the parts guy teased me to just go with the newer design iridium tipped plugs, but after hearing it was going to cost way over a hundred bucks a set, I nixed that idea. I just went ahead bought a set of standard tipped NGK plugs instead, so I can still save plans to do an extended test ride on the bike to see if all my recent tune ups are making a difference

I put them on and the bad miss is gone and the bike idled and revved real nice. During my test ride, I do not feel any difference in response and power from what I got when the platinums were still good. So I guess I found the problem. Bad plugs.

Then I got to thinking, should I even consider buying the more expensive special tipped plugs for the bike in the future? Are iridium and platinum tipped plugs just mostly a waste of money on a VFR....like using premium gas on it??

Beck

95 VFR

I went to Auto Tech, and one thing the instructor showed us was a metal plate with 8 plugs tapped in connected to a distributor cap. As he spun it, they all sparked exactly the same, no difference. From bottom dollar Auto-lite to Bosch Multi-Tip platinums and iridiums.

It all has to do with creating enough energy to bridge the gap of the plug, and once that it done, it sparks all the same.

The only thing I believe is different is resistance to fouling and longevity. So if those are important matters to you, then spend your money the way you will.

I put standard plugs (factory, usually) in all my motorized things and have yet to have a problem. Scheduled maintenance is what its all about.

I run stock NGK in mine.

• Member Contributer

I got my plugs from O'reilleys.A lot cheaper than dealership. From what I know working on Honda and Acura cars for 20 years I would never use Bosch for anything.

• Member Contributer

I'm running NGK Iridiums in our 87 vfr 700 and it seems to like them quite a bit. (Got them from NAPA for $6 a piece, but had to wait a day for them to arrive.) The plugs that came out were standard NGKs and actually looked pretty good, but the bike runs much better with the new plugs.

I got my plugs from O'reilleys.A lot cheaper than dealership. From what I know working on Honda and Acura cars for 20 years I would never use Bosch for anything.

Curious about your statement on Bosch plugs.....

I remember using thier Platinum plugs on my accord in the late 80's. Didn't seem to cause any problems.....

But then I was taken in by the whole "German Engineering" myth back then. After my horrendous experience with Volkswagens in the 90's, everything kinda changed about how I see German stuff,.........but I didn't think Bosch plugs were a problem too...... How the heck can they mess up on plugs too??

I'm running NGK Iridiums in our 87 vfr 700 and it seems to like them quite a bit. (Got them from NAPA for $6 a piece, but had to wait a day for them to arrive.) The plugs that came out were standard NGKs and actually looked pretty good, but the bike runs much better with the new plugs.

Wha???! :wacko: ....$6 for NGK Iridiums from NAPA?? That's ridiculously cheap!. I have to check that one out myself!....

Iridium plugs can easily go over100, 000 miles in an automobile. Longevity & resistance to fouling, as previously stated, is the only difference.

My local Advance Auto Parts sells NGK plugs too (I think the iridiums are about $9 each). The original set in my 2001 were changed at 18k miles with iridiums. The last set I changed at 56k miles (so 38k miles on the plugs) with iridium's again. They still looked good and the bike ran good, but figured it was time.

The 100k iridiums in my truck developed a miss at 82k miles and I figured the bike rev's at twice the speed of the truck, so the they should last about half as long.

• Member Contributer

Wha???! :wacko: ....$6 for NGK Iridiums from NAPA?? That's ridiculously cheap!. I have to check that one out myself!....

Looks like they must have been on sale when I bought them about 8 months ago. They are $7.69 now.

Dang!, the local Honda dealership (Mission Honda in SF) must think I'm such a chump quoting a $100 for a set of iridiums for my 4th gen.... :mad:

I must have paid double what they usually cost for the "regular" plugs too.... :wacko: ...so I'm still a chump..... :sad:

Dang!, the local Honda dealership (Mission Honda in SF) must think I'm such a chump quoting a $100 for a set of iridiums for my 4th gen.... :mad:

I must have paid double what they usually cost for the "regular" plugs too.... :wacko: ...so I'm still a chump..... :sad:

Did that include installation?

• Member Contributer

Always have had good service with Iridium plugs. Over 300k miles on different bikes with never a problem with plugs.

Worked with a chap who had over 350k miles with the same set of Iplugs in a Ford Ranger pick up- that is not a typo !!

Of course the plugs would now be welded to the block- big deal.

However , was having a miss on my 1994 Pathfinder and my buddy , a Nissan tech, replaced Iplugs with regular NGK stock plugs. The Iplugs had been in the engine for 100k miles and a decade. All of the plugs looked almost brand new ! One plug had a little spot of gob on the electrod (sic).He told me that if you get some crummy gas the Iplugs will not burn off any residue where the stock regular NGK plugs would usually not foul.

Will use Iplugs in all my bikes, though.

• Member Contributer

I went to Auto Tech, and one thing the instructor showed us was a metal plate with 8 plugs tapped in connected to a distributor cap. As he spun it, they all sparked exactly the same, no difference. From bottom dollar Auto-lite to Bosch Multi-Tip platinums and iridiums.

It all has to do with creating enough energy to bridge the gap of the plug, and once that it done, it sparks all the same.

The only thing I believe is different is resistance to fouling and longevity. So if those are important matters to you, then spend your money the way you will.

I put standard plugs (factory, usually) in all my motorized things and have yet to have a problem. Scheduled maintenance is what its all about.

I run stock NGK in mine.

The worst sucker demo around. A plug has to fire under sever temperature but most of all PRESSURE conditions and that is really where the men get separated from the boyzzz. Almost any plug just hanging out in the air will hum along as sweet as can be but put them in a compression condition and that is where the true test begins.

I run stock NGK in mine.

The worst sucker demo around. A plug has to fire under sever temperature but most of all PRESSURE conditions and that is really where the men get separated from the boyzzz. Almost any plug just hanging out in the air will hum along as sweet as can be but put them in a compression condition and that is where the true test begins.

Sure. That's why every new spark plug I have ever put into anything has worked perfectly fine. They all do fine. Iridiums and platinums are good if not better than plain jain plugs, all I'm saying is I've never noticed a difference, and my experience proves my opinion.

Archived