Tire Swapping

Duc2V4

• Member Contributer

Out of curiosity, how many times can a tire be installed/removed before its integrity is compromised? By this I am referring to the bead mostly. Is this even an issue?

The reason I ask is, I want to try the Pilot Power 3s I have on the '01 on the Duc, as it needs new shoes but rather than buy a set of tires that I may not like on this bike, I would prefer to try them out first. Even in a worse case scenario, I buy them I don't like them, I'd be inclined to take them off and use them later which still leads to install/removal. In the hopes of saving money, I figured I would "borrow" them off the '01 for a few rides, just to get a feel for how the Duc rides with them, then buy them if i like them. (in this case I would just put the new ones on the '01) If i didn't like them, they go back on the '01 and the Duc gets the new Dunlop Q3s to replace the current Q2s on there now. However, In addition to doing this, I also might be doing a few rear wheel swaps but keep the tires with the bike, not the wheel. Of course there's the tire changing cost, so I may be spending money on labor if not on tire changing gear, which with 3 bikes in the stable would be a wise investment, I'm just limited on space at the moment!

Spending money for the things we love never ends does it? I'm just glad my dog doesn't expect to go to college, as he would not have any tuition money from dad!

• Member Contributer

Considering the loads the tire takes during operation, mounting them a number of times should be no big deal.

In addition to whatever money it costs to have someone change your tires, what kind of time will you have to set aside to go to and from the shop?

As for tire changing gear, I use a Mojo bar, some threaded rod, pieces of pvc, a steel car wheel covered in garden hose, and a Black and Decker Workmate. Add in my neighbor's truck and some scrap lumber to break the bead.

The Workmate isn't needed, it is just the handiest surface I have.

Simply secure the car wheel (so the brake rotor can sit freely inside the wheel, say 14 or 15 inch wheel, whatever works) to a bench or table with threaded rod, split a length of garden hose onto the wheel to protect the motorcycle wheel. Clamp bike wheel down to car wheel, using threaded rod. I like to use bits of plywood as washers all along.

slip a section of pvc pipe over the remaining bit of threaded rod, then follow the instructions for the mojo bar.

Grind away threads where you don't need them and save time in the future spinning nuts on/off.

$115 - Mojo bar

<$20 - threaded rod/nuts/washers

<$20 - No-Mar paste

<$10 - Way more PVC pipe than needed

$10 - soft gun case to keep the bar in with pvc/rod/hardware

free from sketchy mechanic shop - car wheel

fee from other projects - plywood bits

And some way of balancing. I have tried dynabeads, will be buying a Marc Parnes static balancer. That is something like $120.

The biggest single piece is the car wheel, which gets tossed in amongst the random other tires/wheels in the corner of my garage.

Archived