Oil Filter For Top End Oiler Kit?

tomk1960

• Member Contributer

I have one of Dave Dodge's oil filter kits on the way and was wondering if anyone can tell me if there's a Fram filter that's compatible. I was told that the original size filter won't fit, since it's too long with the "plate" installed. Dave said that the Honda part number is 15410-MFJ-D0115410, which crosses to a Fram PH6017A. My Vulcan uses that filter, so I compared it to the original filter and it's smaller in diameter. I'm not sure how that can be used. Any suggestions?

BTW - if anyone is using the standard sized filter, I have a couple brand-new Fram filters that can be had for a reasonable price since I won't be able to use them. Just send me a PM.

Thanks.

• Member Contributer

Don't buy the Fram, they have cardboard separators in them.

Get a Bosch or similar and look for the Civic part number, it is smaller and maybe shorter but has the O-ring in the same position as stock larger diameter filter.

• Member Contributer

Don't cheap out and go half-assing it with some bullshit car filters, take advice from a real man and buy the genuine filters, they're only like 40 bucks. Sheesh.

:goofy:

Yes, I'd better man up and spend the big bucks!

Don't buy the Fram, they have cardboard separators in them.

Get a Bosch or similar and look for the Civic part number, it is smaller and maybe shorter but has the O-ring in the same position as stock larger diameter filter.

Are you talking about the filters for today's Civics? My girlfriend has a 2008, so that would work out nice if they're the same.

Regarding Fram, they revamped their manufacturing process and now make a much higher quality filter than they did five years ago. They used to be utter crap, and surprisingly they acknowledged it. Since then they revamped their whole manufacturing and QC process. The tough guard variety offers excellent filtration. You can search for their revamped processeses... there's several articles about it, if you can sift through all the articles based on the issues they used to have.

Up to you of course.

There is another filter spec (I think) that has a larger diameter, but it might still be too long. Do you know what dimensions you need to clear?

• Member Contributer

The Civic filter part number is something like 7317 or 4713 or something like that...I will verify when I get back in the garage this weekend...the filter from the wifeys Odyssey also fits but it is the same size as the VFR IIRC.

RCB, all the stuff I have seen on shiddy Fram filters is from the past year...do you have a link to the new filter process?

• Member Contributer

Regarding Fram, they revamped their manufacturing process and now make a much higher quality filter than they did five years ago. They used to be utter crap, and surprisingly they acknowledged it. Since then they revamped their whole manufacturing and QC process. The tough guard variety offers excellent filtration. You can search for their revamped processeses... there's several articles about it, if you can sift through all the articles based on the issues they used to have.

Up to you of course.

There is another filter spec (I think) that has a larger diameter, but it might still be too long. Do you know what dimensions you need to clear?

Not sure yet, but I'll know once the kit arrives and I bolt on the plate and measure the space needed to clear the exhaust.

The Civic filter part number is something like 7317 or 4713 or something like that...I will verify when I get back in the garage this weekend...the filter from the wifeys Odyssey also fits but it is the same size as the VFR IIRC.

RCB, all the stuff I have seen on shiddy Fram filters is from the past year...do you have a link to the new filter process?

I looked up the Odessey and Civic - 7317 is the correct number. I'm due to change the GF's oil, so I'll pick up a filter and can check for fitment. Thanks for the info.

Sure thing,

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/eating-crow-fram-oil-filters-my-visit-frams-r-d-facility-dayton-ohio-1261517/

Mr. Bransford's opinion is one I trust. I've been trying them out on the ST and on my Jeep. I've only opened a couple of them up, but they've all been fine. For me it's not about cost, but convenience. While we can always buy ahead.. you know how that goes sometimes. I really just just going and buying everything I need in a sweep without special trips or shipping. You can always buy a case of filters to save on cost too, but I don't.

There's another article I've got bookmarked somewhere, but I didn't think it was as insightful as this one.

My biggest gripe with Fram wasn't cardboard endcaps, but that they tore loose or were never glued in the first place. Thus far I've not seen any issues, but always good to look no matter the manufacturer.

you really only need one or two filters per year after bike is broke in well(they'll run very clean, if you keep the oil changed. That makes filter cost a moot point as well as the constant labor to install. Only draw back on car filters they wont by pass till a higher psi number. Most mc motors oil filters are in bypass mode under full throttle conditions to ensure adaquate lubrication.

IMO buying car filters is more a novelty(cause you can), than just replacing every couple of oil changes, with a quality industrial Mc filter, than a poor quality cheap car filter, thats out of spec.

Ive been wanting to try some redline oil in the vfr, everytime I get ready, I remember 3 quarts is $45, screw that!!

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the link, although the video does not exist I did read through the thread.

I may take another look at the Fram Tough Guard with the cardboard end caps but will continue to stay away from the Extra Guard and extended Guard products.

Archived