Will's '84 Vf1000F Resurrection

WillsVF

• Member Contributer

G'Day All,

Just bought myself an '84 VF1000F as a ticket to returning to biking after a forced hiatus. Pix to come when I'm off the tablet and on the computer :happy:

post-27639-0-94983700-1370759161.jpg

• Member Contributer

looks pretty tidy Wills. For some reason your second post is empty?

I'm sure you'll enjoy being back on the bikes with something like that to get you around.

cheers

ian

• Member Contributer

looks pretty tidy Wills. For some reason your second post is empty?

I'm sure you'll enjoy being back on the bikes with something like that to get you around.

cheers

ian

Yeah Ian, soooo looking forward to regular riding again! That empty post was due to my lack of dexterity with my new Android Tablet...........D'oh! :unsure:

A couple more photos. I think...............

post-27639-0-08652700-1370776662.jpgpost-27639-0-85912800-1370776872.jpg

• Member Contributer

that's better :wink: What's the plan of attack? Doesn't look like it needs too much to get her back on the road.

ian

• Member Contributer

that's better :wink: What's the plan of attack? Doesn't look like it needs too much to get her back on the road.

ian

Yeah Ian, it passed its blue slip for nsw rego 1st go. I'd like to fix the tach....or replace it if I can find one at a good price. It will be on the road as soon as I have the $ for the rego. Can't wait eh! Should have my sidecovers back next week, around the same time as the new seat cover arrives from the 'States. :cheerleader:

• Member Contributer

I think what attracted me to this bike, besides the low cost was the easy going riding position. And the sound from those cans with that aftermarket exhaust. It looks like a snake pit under the engine! :cool:

I do love those big 'ol Fs. I have been forced to stop dragging bikes home for a while, but either one of those or a Sabre will be mine soon enough!

Good luck with it.

• Member Contributer

I do love those big 'ol Fs. I have been forced to stop dragging bikes home for a while, but either one of those or a Sabre will be mine soon enough!

Good luck with it.

Thanks Mate! Can't wait to take it for a decent ride :cheerleader:

• Member Contributer

Did some more tidying up on the VF this morning. Repainted the tired looking centre and side stands, and citted the rejuvenated 'Gearsack' rack with stainles fasteners.

post-27639-0-79131500-1371352703.jpg

more pix :cool:

post-27639-0-58661300-1371352919.jpg

post-27639-0-63770500-1371352957.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

post-27639-0-32575000-1372661734.jpgpost-27639-0-75589700-1372661792.jpgPicked up a cheap second seat and fitted the sheepskin on it today. Also grabbed a RJays rack bag for the weekend run coming up in October. Refitted the sidecovers, including the LH side one my brother Mick painted for me. Looks a whole lot better than the matt black one that was on it :-) Original seat is at the upholsterers being professionally recovered in Blue. I have a seat bag that will fit on the pillion spot just nicely, so luggage sorted!

• Member Contributer

Your seat used to be this guy's brother.....

:goofy:

3218072_700b.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Picked up the recovered seat the other day and fitted it. According to the trimmer the seat had modded to lower the seat height so the US made replica was too big :-/

Still looks way better than the faded blue one or the aftermarket black one! I might have a go at recovering the spare base I have myself.post-27639-0-71575100-1373358179.jpgpost-27639-0-64074400-1373358264.jpg

• Member Contributer

The last job on my list for the present time is to fix the tacho.post-27639-0-83703200-1373358731.jpg

Mine has a broken needle, and it doesn't work anyway. I found a used dash assy on local classified's and bough it. Turns out the speedo fitted is in MPH, so it must be off a UK or US model? My speedo is in KPH. I disassembled the unit, removed the speedo and tacho and cleaned the faces with some mild detergent, paper towel, cotton buds and finally a coat of petroleum jelly. Came up OK I reckon.

Hopefully it will work once I take my bike to bits, and fit it. :-)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

My brother gave me his unwanted topbox. I modified the steel gearsack rack and bolted the box to the rack with ss fasteners. Very solid and I now have secure waterproof storage. Thanks Mick!

post-27639-0-86047300-1374652879.jpgpost-27639-0-79490500-1374652959.jpg

I kept the removed section of the rack, refitting it to use a soft slip on bag would be simple using an internal sleeve with pins and r clips.

I also located a matching set of blue adjustable levers, my clutch lever that was on the bike wasn't adjustable as well as being bent and the wrong type! My less than perfect left hand has a much easier time with the adjustable lever :-) A bit of farkle is nice too............

Forgot to mention, the new Pirelli Demon Sports are fitted. I've only travelled 8km so far but they feel immediately better than the BT45's. On a rally ride with the Veteran, Vintage and Classic bikes on Saturday so that will be the real test!

post-27639-0-28859700-1374653387.jpg

• Member Contributer

Thanks vfrcpan. I forgot to mention I fitted the used tacho I bought too, I now know how far not to rev.......

It's turned a good budget big bore tourer. Looking forward to a long run somewhere, anywhere! :-)

• Member Contributer

Looking good Will. Interested on your view of the Pirelli's when you've had a good ride on them. Always thought the BT45s were a good tyre, but would like to switch radials if I could? Jeff has also suggested a pair of Avons.

cheers

ian

• Member Contributer

I'll have a good idea of what the Pirelli's are like by the end of this weekend. I'll post my thoughts here, as the new hoops are a part of the VF's "resurrection" after all! :cool:

• Member Contributer

The Avon Azzario is the only set I could find as a front and rear radial.

ooops. You're right Jeff. For some reason (hope?) I thought the Pirellis were radial. My bad :unsure:

Archived