"new" Vf500

Alaskan

We have a new bike in the family! It was on its deathbed, but my brother breathed into the engine and now it lives!

post-8426-0-26785600-1369167507.jpg

post-8426-0-76377800-1369167549.jpg

post-8426-0-81942600-1369167579.jpg

• Member Contributer

A V4 and a Saab...man after my own heart. Looks nice and I've always loved those colors.

My brother is working on a VF1000R. It runs great now, but the PO painted it an unholy blue and yellow. More on that later . . .

It's like an epidemic around here all the sudden! Everyone has a 500!

There are three 500 Interceptors at the shop I work with and all 3 of them need a new home.

• Member Contributer

I know pictures can be deceiving but it looks like it's in pretty good shape to me. How many miles on her and how did you come to acquire it?

Rollin

• Member Contributer

Looks really sharp in the pictures. I sure wouldn't mind having one of those in the stable.

Thanks. It's clean but not pristine. Runs great with 22,000 miles. We bought it from a guy who thought he had a blown head gasket. He said it smoked, but was was vague about whether it was burning oil or coolant. He had removed the front head and had the parts rattling around in a box, so we couldn't diagnose the issue with a leak-down test or see the engine run. (Backyard Mechanic Lesson No. 1 - if you don't know what you are doing, don't start tearing the engine down.)

The heads and valves and gaskets looked fine. Hell, everything looked fine! After replacing the head gaskets the bike ran great - no smoke, good compression. It's a mystery why the engine was smoking in the first place. Maybe it was a failed head gasket. Maybe the prior owner had overfilled the crankcase. Who knows?

• Member Contributer

Always makes my heart glad to see a VF500 in good care in a happy home... Before Mr.RC45 I had a

love affair with my 86 VF500F Interceptor bought new from Golden Gate Cycles... I made this into

famous Belt-0-Ceptor... I racked up 98,000 trouble free miles... I sold it to my Air Force buddy up in

White City Oregon...

BeltCloseUp.jpg
gallery_3131_51_14630.jpg

Custom dash...
gallery_3131_51_36605.jpg

Sometimes being the littlest bike in a group of big bad Motors of
Death can be a recipe for bruised egos...
BannedLetter.jpg

We bought it from a guy who thought he had a blown head gasket. He said it smoked, but was was vague about whether it was burning oil or coolant.

If an engine is burning oil the piston will be black whereas if the coolant is mixing into the combustion the steam will clean the piston bright aluminum...

Always makes my heart glad to see a VF500 in good care in a happy home... Before Mr.RC45 I had a

love affair with my 86 VF500F Interceptor bought new from Golden Gate Cycles... I made this into

famous Belt-0-Ceptor... I racked up 98,000 trouble free miles... I sold it to my Air Force buddy up in

White City Oregon...

BeltCloseUp.jpg

gallery_3131_51_14630.jpg

Custom dash...

gallery_3131_51_36605.jpg

Sometimes being the littlest bike in a group of big bad Motors of

Death can be a recipe for bruised egos...

BannedLetter.jpg

We bought it from a guy who thought he had a blown head gasket. He said it smoked, but was was vague about whether it was burning oil or coolant.

If an engine is burning oil the piston will be black whereas if the coolant is mixing into the combustion the piston will be steam cleaned bright aluminum...

We didn't see any evidence either way. Weird.

The belt drive is very cool, btw.

Archived