My Friends Lil 250Cc

Guest VF500FInterceptor

Is she opposed to a standard bike? The Kawasaki ER6n is a great bike for commuting.

OP said she was small, so 30+ inch seat heights are probably out. Even a Ninja 250 has a tall seat height.

• Member Contributer

Tell her that I said that you should prove your love and give her yours, after you've lowered it for her. :goofy:

I need your advice. My friend got a 07 250cc Honda Rebel, and she wants a little bit more top end power so that she can do better on the freeway. What would be the best sprocket configuration to achieve this?

This popped up on St.N

26 MILES on it. Twenty-six.

http://athensga.craigslist.org/mcy/3741244112.html

3Eb3Fe3J45L15K85Jed4d2ad9f7c4e10d1dd7.jp

• Member Contributer

26 miles...on a bike that is 7-8 years old...no thanks.

Then look at the asking price of $5,000 compared to when the bike had a list price new of $4,899 and you have a recipe for a craiglist dreamer selling that even with the gracious offer to throw in the non matching side hack.

I think that bike (even at 450 lbs dry) may be good for her because of the low seat height and the style that she prefers but it would be well bought and well sold for between $2000-$3000 depending on the actual condition of seals and hoses that need to be operated to keep from drying/cracking.

Talked to a guy recently who had a low mileage 5th gen (under 6k) and stated he was the original owner but wouldn't consider a fair market offer because he "couldn't afford to lose money on the bike."

I am not sure how you own a motorcycle for 15 years (or 7 in the above ad) and then decide that you are losing money on the sale so I guess you may as well advertise it at list price (when new) or above, just don't think they will sell that Vulcan at that price and I don't think she should be a buyer for it.

Guest VF500FInterceptor

Tell her that I said that you should prove your love and give her yours, after you've lowered it for her. :goofy:

Yaaa... she is my co-worker... I just gave her advice because she asked, and she really doesn't have anyone in the area. However I would always sell anything for a price. BUUTTT Most people probably would not like what I have done to my bike so prolly not an option. In the end... I don't care what she rides. lol She was just asking questions and I told her I would see what I could figure out. :wacko:

• Member Contributer

Going a tooth up on the front is like losing three or four on the rear, with no chain change and a lower cost. I'd look down that avenue - first is probably so low it doesn't matter anyway. I don't know what the Rebel (and Nighthawk?) came with, if it came with a 15 tooth go up to a 16 tooth and that will make the engine a little less busy. Sunstar probably has a sprocket for $20ish.

• Member Contributer

You tried to help her, so leave it at that :-)

Oh boy, pity the man that marries her..

"Set in her ways"

"Does not listen"

"She wants this"

1g20.jpg

Then look at the asking price of $5,000 compared to when the bike had a list price new of $4,899 and you have a recipe for a craiglist dreamer selling that even with the gracious offer to throw in the non matching side hack.

I think that bike (even at 450 lbs dry) may be good for her because of the low seat height and the style that she prefers but it would be well bought and well sold for between $2000-$3000 depending on the actual condition of seals and hoses that need to be operated to keep from drying/cracking.

Talked to a guy recently who had a low mileage 5th gen (under 6k) and stated he was the original owner but wouldn't consider a fair market offer because he "couldn't afford to lose money on the bike."

I am not sure how you own a motorcycle for 15 years (or 7 in the above ad) and then decide that you are losing money on the sale so I guess you may as well advertise it at list price (when new) or above, just don't think they will sell that Vulcan at that price and I don't think she should be a buyer for it.

One word: Negotiation.

• Member Contributer

One word: Negotiation.

I agree, but for this negotiation to work the potential buyer should start with an offer around $1,100 dollars to meet in the middle (ASSuming the seals/gaskets/hoses are not all shot)...probably a pretty short conversation with the seller when it starts that way.

Remind me to tell you of the time I worked selling new cars at a BMW/Pontiac/Buick dealership to pay for college :biggrin: