Itaian Red In A Rattle Can?

Guest JeffLaurence

Guest JeffLaurence

Hi,

I remember reading here somewhere that you could buy the proper Honda colour in a rattle can. I

would like to get a can or two of "Italian Red " for my 1990 VFR. Any leads?

Thanks,

Jeff

I found it was more like ColorWrong.

I ordered the "correct" R-157 red for my 1999, and had the front cowling painted by a professional auto body guy (not rattle canned) and it was way more orange than the rest of my factory painted fairings.

Good luck!

Premixes are SO hit and miss because of the different variants of each color. There is typically a Light and Dark variant of every color, plus some could have a half dozen or more variants based on production runs of the bike/car.

• Member Contributer

You can definitely rattle can it, but in order for the color to match 100%, you'd have to spray all plastics and the tank. Colors on older vehicles never match, b/c original color changes due to exposure to the elements over the years, sun being the #1 culprit.

The good news is that this is still very manageable since the bike is small.

Get at least 3 cans of base color, 3 cans of primer and 3 cans of clear. You'll probably have a little left over, but it is better than the alternative.

The entire paint job will cost you under $200 and if you put in some time and patience, you'll have a perfect paint job - no different or better than what the shop can do.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I brought my gas tank to an automotive paint shop and the guy there matched it near perfectly. He then made the rattle cans for me. He told me the spray nozzles they use on the cans are "very good" and I agree after seeing the outcome. We made sure to test a small fairing piece first and it took a couple iterations. We found out from a Dupont rep that happened to be in the shop that we needed to use white primer. It made a difference!

Also, I believe he gave me a primer that was specifically for ABS plastic. I am not certain of that, it was 2 years ago. If you check out the pix of my bike you'll see it matched up to the tank pretty nicely. I've never spray painted prior to this. The paint shop guy walked me through it each step of the way.

• Member Contributer

The entire paint job will cost you under $200 and if you put in some time and patience, you'll have a perfect paint job - no different or better than what the shop can do.

Are you saying to use rattle cans or 2K paint? Rattle cans will never be as high quality as a good 2k paint. Softer, easier to scratch, more difficult to make metallics look right and can be eaten by gas. It can look good if done right but will not be as durable.

And even if you are able to buy all of the supplies to do a 2K paint job for $200 (which is unlikely when you consider cost of sandpaper, primer, paint guns, compressor, water separator, seting up or renting a booth, respirator, masking tape, base and clear) it takes a fair amount of skill, practice, and lots of your own time to do as good of a job as a professional. Which can be rewarding and fun... but not easy and cheap unless you already have all the gear.

Just my 2 cents...

For the OP, I have used color rite spray cans to patch up some scratched body panels and it worked out alright... if that is all you are doing and don't expect perfection it might be your best option. However getting paint matched at an automotive paint supply and put into spray cans might also be a very good option.

I just painted mine as the front fender and fairings had faded to almost white in spots. I used Tremclad Safety Red - I believe in the US it is known as Rustoleum.

I did everything but the tank as it was in good shape and I knew the tremclad would not hold up to fuel. The bike and tank was in storage when I painted it. I was pleasantly surprised at how close the colour was when I put it back together.

That said my tank may be faded from the original colour so YMMV.

DSCN0943.jpg

20130512_141702.jpg

Are you saying to use rattle cans or 2K paint? Rattle cans will never be as high quality as a good 2k paint. Softer, easier to scratch, more difficult to make metallics look right and can be eaten by gas. It can look good if done right but will not be as durable.

For the OP, I have used color rite spray cans to patch up some scratched body panels and it worked out alright... if that is all you are doing and don't expect perfection it might be your best option. However getting paint matched at an automotive paint supply and put into spray cans might also be a very good option.

This is the route I went and it has been holding up great! Getting the proper paint injected into aerosol cans by your local automotive paint shop guarantees you have the right material, then it just comes down to your skill in the surface prep and ability to lay the paint down evenly. I managed to lay down a metallic fleck blue on my 2nd Gen that looks fantastic. No one has ever been able to tell that it was from a "rattle can." :happy:

As for the clear, I would suggest using SprayMax 2K Clear... *dun dun dun* in an aerosol can! When you press a button on the bottom of the can, an inner canister of hardener gets punctured and mixed internally within the can. You have about 24 hours to use the can before it sets up internally and the can is toast. Gets you the same 2K clear as a shop in a convenient way, so you don't have to opt for all the proper spray equipment for smaller paint jobs.

http://www.spraymax.com/index.php?id=361&L=1

I had heard of this 2K clear in a can but couldn't remember what it was called. Thanks!

:fing02:

Glad I could help! Just don't want to see someone make the same mistakes I did... not using the proper materials resulted in 2 paint jobs, not one.(Painted the bike the first time with a single part clear... that was promptly stripped off when the petcock o-ring leaked! :angry: )

Archived