Quick Question On Fork Raising How To

Guest ohlarikd

• Member Contributer

From what you've done so far, you have an excessive forward pitch, which will result in all sorts of unpleasantness in addition to what has been mentioned above.

The bike will have a tendency to fall into turns past the normal comfort zone and quick transitions will be problematic. It will also not want to hold the like in the turns.

I am no expert, so I'd be interested in reading your ride report just to see if my guess here is close.

If you dropped it too far, your dust seals will slam into the bottom of the tripple clamps. 10mm is about as far as you want to go.

From what you've done so far, you have an excessive forward pitch, which will result in all sorts of unpleasantness in addition to what has been mentioned above.

The bike will have a tendency to fall into turns past the normal comfort zone and quick transitions will be problematic. It will also not want to hold the like in the turns.

I am no expert, so I'd be interested in reading your ride report just to see if my guess here is close.

I tend to agree with both of you. But you have to understand my crazed mind. If I set it at 10mm and it feels fine, then I will immediately wonder what 15mm is like and have to drop it again. If I start at 15mm and it feels fine, then done. If too twitchy then I go to 10mm. At least I have a chance at 15mm...

Made sense at the time :smile:

• Member Contributer

So thats 7 washers i count ? Yeah I am with you slotted washers bad idea .

8 stainless steel washers from Lowe's, $2. That is my kind of budget.

THANKS

• Member Contributer

Nothing crazy about experimenting.

Have fun and let us know your findings.

So 1st ride, which was admittedly cautious, went well. First, I forgot to adjust the chain, so I didn't get far. Raising the rear /lowering front loosened the chain quite a bit at static position. After that was all fixed, I was off. It definitely is much quicker steering. At low speed you jiggle the bars and it acts like my last supermoto, very twitchy, but nothing to be worried about - it was just that I knew there was a change. At high speed it is quite stable. 60-80 mph on the highway, felt like a normal sport bike in terms of how it reacts to bar pressure.

I didn't go nuts in the curves as my ride to work doesn't really offer many. The curves I did take felt fine - bike was not falling in. Of course, at higher speeds and increased angle, we shall see. On the way home there is an opportunity that I will try out and see how it holds a line.

I am concerned about fork travel as Spud says. I will put a zip tie on the fork to see how far it is compressing. I would think that under heavy braking it might hit due to the softness of the stock fork, but not sure if I will get into that situation on the street. Track, sure, but I am not going to the track with this.

So far I am LOVING this. It felt much more like a sportbike and less like a locomotive. It always felt flat, and like the front end was very far away. Now the front feels closer, maybe due to the angle and the lower bars. Or maybe it is all just my imagination!

• Member Contributer

Nice!

Enjoy it :wheel:

P.S.

There go my theories :blush:

Nice!

Enjoy it :wheel:

P.S.

There go my theories :blush:

The theory is correct, but it depends on the bike, tires, suspension... it also requires ME to actually flog the thing, and I haven't done that yet. The jury is still out, but 'everyday' riding is no problem.

Rode home through some higher speed twisties, no issues uncovered. Stayed on line with no effort, felt great actually. I am keeping it this way and will monitor over the weeks. The bike has never been this good since I bought it 2 years ago or so.

Thanks!

When the forks bottom, you'll find out. Theres not much room past 10mm from stock.

Not on a 4th gen, thats for sure, take a look. And if you think I haven't found the bottom yet, my method of finding full compression is a stoppie. I've got a black ziptie on there for reference.

post-22106-0-68634400-1369177524.jpg

post-22106-0-15839800-1369177682.jpg

Now I will tell you that my radiator hits the fender a little at full compression, but I just have to modify the mount a little bit and that will be fixed.

Archived