Garmin Nuvi 765T

2thdr

• Member Contributer

So I just ordered a Nuvi 765T (used, like new condition) on Amazon for about $125 and ordered a matching Ram cradle/mount. This is to replace my now defunct zumo 450. I ordered this older version since it's one of the only non-zumo versions that I can get the gps navigation instructions piped over a bluetooth connection. It also has an mp3 player which is a bonus that I don't have to run my phone for that. We'll see how this works out...I really loved my zumo. I'm giving up motorcycle friendly controls, waterproofness, and possibly longevity due to lack of vibration and rough duty resistance.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-the-road/discontinued/nuvi-765t/prod14926.html

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001ELJER4/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001W3Y5PA/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002KO5XVU/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Anyone have any experience (good or bad) with this unit?

I'll give an update after I get to use it some.

• Member Contributer

I've got one for my truck and use a Nuvi 750 on the bike. The 765T works as well as any of them in my experience. It is a little slow to pick up the satellite but does seem to keep them in communication after it has connected.

• Member Contributer

I was tempted to order one of the newer 34xx models, figuring they would have faster processor and perform better, etc. , but none of the newer Nuvi's will port the audio to bluetooth. The only thing they use the bluetooth for is phone calls. I hope it performs as well as my old zumo 450...it should.

• Member Contributer

My $.02:

I have been using a 765 (T?) for three seasons. I have it in a Ram mount cradle on a TechMount. This mounting has been trouble-free. I use it on nearly every ride. In slight wet conditions, I cover it with a plastic sandwich bag. Otherwise, I can remove quickly and store it in my tank bag if I am concerned about rain (I am mostly a fair weather rider), or when parked in an insecure place. I do not use Bluetooth. I have the sound output wired to an amp/splitter that manages GPS and V-1 radar detector inputs. My amp output is to ER-1 in-ear-buds. I do not mind the ear bud wires as the ear-buds also serve as high-attenuation hearing protection. Only the GPS and the V-1 remote visual panel are mounted out behind the fairing. The rest of my electronics are in a small, powered tank bag.

I do not use the traffic warning feature as I live (and I often travel) in a rural area. The GPS functions well. I really have come to like the MP3 player. It is easy to read in all but the brightest sun light. I recently made my first map upgrade and it went well. I have just started to use BaseCamp to create routes for downloading to the 765. I really like the way it works. I soak in the ride listening to Aaron Copland's Appalachian Spring, attend to the route when the GPS lady announces my next turn, or I can be interrupted by the radar detector when I should be attentive to the presence of the fine folks who serve and protect.

It is easy to operate with gloves, and the MP3 player has nice on-screen control features.

I have been very happy with the Nuvi. A Zumo would be nice but I figured for the lower cost, I could simply replace the Nuvi if I let it get too wet or had it pilfered. I think that the mounting system has made a big difference. It is no hassle to pop it off and stick it in my pocket or bag.

I will be interested to hear about your experiences and how your Bluetooth system works.

Rick

• Member Contributer

Thanks so much for your great review Rick. I don't ride with a radar detector, so the Nuvi/bluetooth connection should serve my needs since there is the mp3 player incorporated into the unit (just like my old zumo). If you get a chance sometime, I would like to see a photo of your mounting solution. I just ordered a Ram cradle and ball to attach to my Ram arm and tank bolt mount that I used for the zumo. I also have a secure locking knob that locks with a key on that arm. If I superglued the Nuvi to the cradle it would be secure to leave on the bike. However I think I will just pop it off the mount and carry it with me or stash it on the bike for now. If the power input is a generic mini USB, I think I can get a Powerlet cable to plug into my steering stem Powerlet outlet. If not, I can route it to my powered tank bag like you do. For two or three years I have used my Sena bluetooth headset in different helmets. Two of my helmets use the speakers and in one helmet I use the S-plug earbuds. I prefer the helmet speaker set up usually as the silicon earbuds just don't block out the wind noise the way my tapered E.A.R. plugs do. Each to his own...these are always very personal choices when it comes to shoving stuff into your ear canal...LOL!

• Member Contributer

I've had similar experiences to RickF, although I don't utilise the bluetooth or FM features at all. Mine is a 2009 model which I bought second hand. On a recent trip the screen got a little wetter than previously and some sort of layer has been flaking ever since. Still perfect functionality and I think it may have been an aftermarket sceen protector put on by original owner. May get around to a little more water and a microfiber cloth to clear the lot off? New touch-screens from eBay sellers are dirt cheap so I am not particularly worried. 760 has a lot of great features which the current ranges have dispensed with and I can't justify a Zumo to get them.

The extra shaking of bike travel has not worried it at all and it has probably done about 30k km on my bike now.

• Member Contributer

I tried replacing the touchscreen on my Zumo using an ebay purchased screen and the instructions available online. I failed miserably. The tiny little connector that the screen's ribbon cable attaches to the unit's circuit board was not usable for the replacement. I guess I must have damaged it removing the old screen. So, be careful if you attempt the repair when removing the old screen connector...

P.S. Maybe the anti-glare coating is peeling off of yours...

• Member Contributer

Hi 2thdr,

I should have made it clear that I have mounted the 765 to a CBR1000RR. I do not know if this will be helpful, but I will share a few pictures.

Rick

post-6345-0-66475100-1367724601.jpgpost-6345-0-10283000-1367724635.jpgpost-6345-0-46785900-1367724656.jpg

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the photos. I was fooling around with mine today and discovered that I am going to want to get a hard wired solution for the power. The Powerlet to USB thing is just not going to be good for me. I see that Powerlet has a mini USB direct to battery kit, but it's not available until June 3rd (and pricey at $55). Guess I'll have to wait until then using my collection of adapters and patch cords. Ram mounting works good, but it sure would have been nice to have a powered cradle like the auto suction cup mount so the power connector would have a positive "clip in" connector ala' Zumo. The nuvi paired up fine with my Sena headset for navigation directions and music...

http://www.powerlet.com/product/mini-usb-direct-to-battery-harness/258

• Member Contributer

I have the power cord (with the embedded FM traffic alert antenna) hard-wired to the bike. The power cord has a proprietary termination that snaps positively into the bracket that snaps to the back of the 765T. That bracket is the socket side of the windshield mount with the ball/arm/suction cup portion removed. When attached to the 765T, the socket portion of the mount does not interfere with mounting the 765T into the RAM cradle. I do not use the usb connector. I also ran an audio cable from the GPS beneath the tank and along the frame to a point near the front edge of the seat, where I can conveniently plug in the ear buds directly, or the amp/splitter indirectly. (With your Bluetooth audio, you would not need the audio cable.) When parking in an insecure place, washing the bike, or travelling in the rain, I disconnect the audio and power cables and remove the GPS unit to my tank bag or pocket. I bought another power cable that I use when moving the 765T to the car. In the car, I re-assemble the ball and socket portion of the windshield mount. I am going to look into the Sena headset that you are using.

• Member Contributer

Thanks so much for that info! I will check out my cable and cradle when I get home today...did you just cut off the cigarette lighter plug to hard wire it? Is the voltage stepped down to 5 V?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

• Member Contributer

There are several circuit terminations visible at the GPS end of the power cord. That led me to expect that there are multiple conductors running within the power cord, as it also serves as an FM Traffic antenna. If I remember right, I assumed that the cigar lighter end of the cord may serve purposes beyond the 12v power and ground circuit connections, too. Therefore, I hard-wired a female cigar lighter plug beneath the seat into which I inserted the GPS power cord.

The GPS end of the power cord has very small terminations making it difficult to back-probe to determine if the power cord drops voltage down to 5v. I am not sure if the voltage is dropped at the power cord or within the GPS. Given that the GPS can run on USB power, I'd guess that GPS system voltage is 5v.

Rick

• Member Contributer

Thanks Rick...I think I will do it just like you did...

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

• 1 year later...

I just decided to use a 765t on my VFR800. I am using a RAM mount for the tank bolts, and then a RAM ball (1") to Garmin ball (17mm) adapter so I can snap the factory Garmin mount onto the RAM base. This will allow me to use the Garmin power connection which snaps in nice and tight. I will use a Powerlet to Nuvi cable. I am doing it this way to avoid having to use a mini USB which does not look like it would be ideal. The issues I don't like with min USB:

1. snaps in from the bottom, not the side

2. does not positively snap in, and vibrations could cause it to fall out

3. power delivery via USB is much slower

I have the Nuvi 750 and it works great, BUT:

Don't expect a lot of stability when powering it with USB. I made this mistake on the first road trip I took with mine, and it would randomly kick over to computer connection mode a few times an hour and need to be rebooted. Seemed to be worse when playing MP3s off the SD card, but even without music on it would sometimes happen. The short USB adapter cable is supposed to prevent this but didn't do a very good job. Big pain in the butt.

The RAM mount accomodates the plastic connector that goes on the back, save yourself a lot of hassle and get the proprietary connector.
Something like this http://radioworld.ca/ppc-022-p-7703.html

WheelmanPEI, good points. I actually put the Nuvi into the factory cradle, and then snapped that cradle into the RAM cradle. I can plug/unplug the powerlet cord no problem, and it seems to work well.

It seems powerlet has discontinued the Garmin powerlet cable! Leaving the only alternative to use a mini USB, I hope someone over at powerlet decides to re-issue the Garmin cables, as those GPS's are quite popular.

Archived