Shelf Life For Brake Pads?

Duc2V4

• Member Contributer

Is there a shelf life for brake pads? I'll be helping a fellow VFR owner work on his bike tomorrow (insalling new rear shock) and he has some front brake pads still in the packaging but cannot recall exactly how old they are. Not sure how comfortable I would be putting something I did not know the age of on my own bike, but if there really is no shelf life, is it even an issue?

Naw, unless they were stored in your oven for 5 years. Or in your oil drain pan.

Modern sintered metal brake pads are pretty much inert. You'd have to store them in some pretty adverse conditions for them to suffer.

After all, they live outdoors, right? And are constantly hot, cold, hot, wet, dry, cold, hot, dirty, wet, muddy, soapy, dry, hot, cold, and they still work fine.

And as you said, they're still in the package.

If he doesn't want them, and they're for an 800, send them to me for "disposal".

• Member Contributer

I kind of thought that was the case but doesn't hurt to ask. Thanks Veefer!

I will back that up, no problem as long as they are sealeed and havent been sitting in grease or oil. Should be the same as the ones that rolled out the factory yesterday as long as they are clean and stored properly.

• Member Contributer

Turns out the pads that he has are OEM Honda and still in the vacuum packed packaging! However, he unfornunately forgot the second set of pads, so he only had 1 set for the front. He's going to do these next week on his own. Sorry Veefer looks like he'll be using them, besides they're for a '95 anyway.

• Member Contributer

I had a pair of HH pads that I bought about 3 years ago from a guy who had them for about another 3 years. They were old enough the packaging was faded pretty badly and they have worked fine.

Archived