Installation Issue With Staintune On 4Th Gen - Missing Bracket

tiki01

I was able to get my hands on a used High mount Staintune exhaust for my 1997 VFR750. Looks good after polishing it up a bit. Some minor scuffing and scratches. There were no other pieces that came with this exhaust so I emailed Staintune in Australia who responded immediately. They were kind enough to send me a check list of what usually came with a new exhaust for this model.

It seems some bolts, flat washers and spring washers were missing which I can get from the local hardware store. It didn't come with baffles but Staintune says they are still available if I want to order one through them since they are used across other exhausts. The one missing piece that has me wondering is a bracket that supposedly connects the bracket on the back of the exhaust to a mounting point up under the plastic below the seat.

This mounting bracket piece is discontinued so I am wondering how to best secure the back end of the exhaust to the bike. Staintune said I would have to fabricate some piece but I don't even know what that entails. Is there a simpler solution? Any other advice would be appreciated!

• Member Contributer

It's nothing but a piece of flat stock bent to fit with two holes in it. A lot of folks don't even use it because where it mounts on the foot peg is so solid.

Good luck!

^ Agreed, just bolt it up at the flange and at the footpeg and call it done.

When I had one I found it was often easier to fit if I loosened the footpeg bolts where it meets the subframe, then tighten the flange, footpeg-to-muffler bolt, and footpeg bolts, in that order.

• Member Contributer

Bad news. i'm afraid it won't work without that piece. I will PM you my home address so I can properly mount....I mean properly discard it for you. Just kidding, man. I haven't heard one of those on a 4th gen but I bet it sounds great! :biggrin:

Chuck

Bad news. i'm afraid it won't work without that piece. I will PM you my home address so I can properly mount....I mean properly discard it for you. Just kidding, man. I haven't heard one of those on a 4th gen but I bet it sounds great! :biggrin:

Chuck

LOL you had me for a moment as I started to read that. I will try to get a clip up after its installed.

• Member Contributer

Sounds like it mounts the same as the 800 version I have, and I'd agree with the above. I think either would work fine solo, i.e. if you had said bracket and didn't want the passenger footpeg, or didn't have the bracket and just used the peg mount.

Don't forget that the stocker mounts only to the peg, and it's way heavier!

A few questions about the install...

Does anyone have any suggestions for what type and size wrench to use on the bolts to take off the clamp connecting the exhaust pipe? What about for the bolt connecting the passenger foot peg to attach the new exhaust?

The bolts for the clamp seem in a tight space and couldn't get the wrench that I had in there. I started to see if I could also use the wrench on the passenger foot pegs but the bolt was soft and I stopped because I was starting to round the edge.

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...
Hi All!
Just an update. Well its only been like a month since I was able to get the right wrench to loosen the bolts on the exhaust. LOL. Last night I was able to get it on without too much lining up. It is much lighter than stock and I like the look! Couldn't wait to take it out so this morning I went for a ride with my wife.
There are no baffles. As others have already mentioned, it was noticeably louder but not too loud for me. My wife thought it was fine. I thought it would be viby for her right side since the exhaust is higher up and louder but she said there was less vibrations on her foot with the staintunes. I dunno but no complaints from her is a good thing. I felt it added to the whole ride experience and am so far very happy I got this. Then again, just getting out from the winter weather and out riding was a great feeling.
First time trying to share images from the gallery, and uploaded a sound clip I recorded once I got back home and in the garage so hope it comes out ok.

VFR750 with Staintunes and back seat 2

VFR750 with Staintunes and back seat 1

(audio clip) Staintunes Exhaust w/o Baffles on 97 VFR750

Archived