Michelin Pilot Power 3

Knute

• Member Contributer

I could say alot of good thing about the PP3's but the one word I kept thinking at TMac was.

These's PP3's are friggin AWESOME ...

You have to try a set on your favorite twisty road.

My two cents...

I go through regular PP's in 17-1900 miles... and these are even softer?? Too rich for me!!

The PP/PR2 combo does feel funky for the first couple hundred miles, but they wear into each other. From new you can feel the rear is more round than the front but once you get used to it the combo feels fine.

I like running this combo because I like wearing the front and rear out together vs pairing a new rear with a half worn/slightly cupped front. To me, that feels much worse than the initial mismatch in shape.

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the feedback deltaboxii. Just order a set to start this years riding season on, course I'll have to wait a month or two to ride.. frick'n winter.

I'm wondering if the PP3 would make a good substitute for the PP in the PP / PR2 combo? Or, how 'bout a PP3 / PR3 as a potential combo?

We do not like the PP3 front/ PR3 rear combo. I have always been a michelin guy even though I have run some other sport brands in recent years including Pirelli Diablo Corsas and Metzler Z6? (I think). We generally run PR3 rear and PP front but the shoulder on the front PP3 has no siping within about 1.25 inches of the shoulder.

I have passed on double yellow in the rain and had to clean my shorts on cold wet tar snakes in the rain but a surprise shower (pretty heavy downpour actually) caught us out at TxMac and the front was pulled out from under my sons VFR when he put enough lean on the front that he was on the last 1 1/2 or so. We initially thought the bike had went down on that section when he touched the yellow line in the rain but we went back by scene of the incident on Saturday at TxMac and again later and we now believe that he touched the yellow after losing the front in the rain.

To be fair that tire had 800 really great miles on it prior to that incident but i do not trust it in the wet now so I don't think it would be a good match for running with a sport/tour rear. It will probably be perfect for track days or for someone who never rides in the wet.

Thanks for the feedback CornerCarver. I think I'm with you here regarding the PP3 and rain. I have a set of PP3's mounted up and with the little bit of riding I've been able to do (f'ing weather) I have to say they are pretty sweet! Recalcitance review pretty well sums up my feeling on the tires as well... it feels like a different bike!

• Member Contributer

Almost to the wear bars after 1200 miles... those sure aren't PR2s. I'm blown away by how durable they are.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

• Member Contributer

Also ran the PP3's at TMac on the Aprilia- got to say I loved em - have been running Rosso Corsa's and I would say that they are comparable but different. PP3 steeper profile - quicker turn in - quick warm up and stick. Rosso's stick like glue period but more mushroom shape so more gradual lean. I rode the PP3 in some rain at Tmac but not a lot and seemed fine although do slow down in the rain a bit but was still following Bailey and Earthshake.

As to Carver's comment about lack of sipes on edge - almost all the hypersport rubber is the same - Rosso's, PP3, Q2, etc - run tall of these at the track in light rain and they have all been fine - not a downpour just wet track. That said it is also one of the reasons I slow down in the rain - not 100% confident about those edges.

Mileage - who knows - different bike - got about 1200-1500 miles out of the Rosso's - have about 800 on the PP3 and they look good - all at TMac and scrubbed edge to edge front and back - liter bikes eat tires too -yum yum

Archived