Air Filter Change

2thdr

• Member Contributer

Not really a question...really just an admission of neglect. All the time I've owned my 2004 since acquiring it from the original owner 3 years ago when she had 24k miles on the clock, I have never changed the air filter. Over 50k miles now. No excuse other than I just didn't think of it when I was doing other stuff (oil changes and such). Anyway, last night I replaced it with a K&N filter I had purchased over two years ago. Because I didn't know what was in the airbox, I was prepared for the worst, but what I found was just another K&N filter that was only mildly dirty to the naked eye...not nearly as bad as I've seen in some cars I've owned. I just pitched the old one since I had already bought the new one long ago. I was almost hoping I could post up some photo of rodent housekeeping, but nada...

Thanks Olive for giving me the courage to admit...

• Member Contributer

The old filter is a good candidate for the pay-it-forward section if it's still in your trash bin.

+1 The one big advantage of a K&N over stock is that it's re-usable!

Not really a question...really just an admission of neglect. All the time I've owned my 2004 since acquiring it from the original owner 3 years ago when she had 24k miles on the clock, I have never changed the air filter. Over 50k miles now. No excuse other than I just didn't think of it when I was doing other stuff (oil changes and such). Anyway, last night I replaced it with a K&N filter I had purchased over two years ago. Because I didn't know what was in the airbox, I was prepared for the worst, but what I found was just another K&N filter that was only mildly dirty to the naked eye...not nearly as bad as I've seen in some cars I've owned.

Thanks Olive for giving me the courage to admit..._______________________________________________________________________

If it doesnt filter much, it should stay cleaner longer, My oem filters are usually about 60% block by 16 or 17,000 mille. I have about 19,000 mile on present filter, its due!

Not really a question...really just an admission of neglect. All the time I've owned my 2004 since acquiring it from the original owner 3 years ago when she had 24k miles on the clock, I have never changed the air filter. Over 50k miles now. No excuse other than I just didn't think of it when I was doing other stuff (oil changes and such). Anyway, last night I replaced it with a K&N filter I had purchased over two years ago. Because I didn't know what was in the airbox, I was prepared for the worst, but what I found was just another K&N filter that was only mildly dirty to the naked eye...not nearly as bad as I've seen in some cars I've owned.

Thanks Olive for giving me the courage to admit..._______________________________________________________________________

If it doesnt filter much, it should stay cleaner longer, My oem filters are usually about 60% block by 16 or 17,000 mille. I have about 19,000 mile on present filter, its due!

Are you saying it's flow rate is reduced by 60% ot that the dark dirty spot appears to cover about 60% of the element area? I ask because an OEM filter that appears very dirty will still often flow almost as well as a new filter. OEM filters do not have to be replaced they can simply be blown out with compressed air and easily go for more than a few service intervals. The 1200 service manual recommends that when the element becomes excessively dirty it should be blown out with compressed air. There is no mention of replacement.

• Member Contributer

The old filter is a good candidate for the pay-it-forward section if it's still in your trash bin.

+1 The one big advantage of a K&N over stock is that it's re-usable!

I retrieved the old filter and paid it forward to a local member. Two air filter mistakes...oh boy...

• Member Contributer

I could have worn my last filter as a sweater if need be. I was astounded at the amount of fuzz that thing accumulated over about 20k. The K&Ns DO clean up nice though. Now I just don't know if I should believe the stories about how much debris gets by the K&N and into your engine...

4th Gen K&N filter  tapped out

4th Gen K&N cleaned and oiled

Are you saying it's flow rate is reduced by 60% ot that the dark dirty spot appears to cover about 60% of the element area? I ask because an OEM filter that appears very dirty will still often flow almost as well as a new filter. OEM filters do not have to be replaced they can simply be blown out with compressed air and easily go for more than a few service intervals. The 1200 service manual recommends that when the element becomes excessively dirty it should be blown out with compressed air. There is no mention of replacement.

When I replace filters, I normally hold it up in the light to see how much light I can see, thats where I get my fiqure from. The recommended replacement is about 12,000 miles, I normally get quite a bit more, but trying to blow out to me seems limited on effectiveness, since the oem is excellent at filtering. You might get some out though, just not worth bothering with to me. Besides, the Emgo I purchased was $25 OEM identical.

Archived