Kappa/givi Topbox Bracket Failure

Dae

300 KM from home, ready to lose my top box glad I pulled over for a quick break. The broken place/weak point was at the grab handle. I never overload the box usually less than 5LBS. If you have either GIVI/Kappa mounting bracket check for stress crack.

I had a MC shop weld an extra piece of metal after welding the cracked point.

post-20375-0-40828100-1359620482.jpg

post-20375-0-72626800-1359620519.jpg

post-20375-0-89321700-1359620554.jpg

post-20375-0-14581200-1359620565.jpg

post-20375-0-87752800-1359620581.jpg

Glad to hear you didn't lose the case. Looks like the fix should be good from now on.

FWIW, I've had very good luck with SW Motech alu-racks on 2 other bikes, so it was a easy choice for me on the VFR. A bit pricey, but worth it IMO. The OEM rack is nice and beefy also, but fitting the SW Motech Contour racks for the GIVI V35 panniers would've been difficult, if not impossible.

This is an old story.

2 years ago I have seen another guy with this problem, so, when I installed the Givi rack, I made a small modification in order to improve its strength .

After 2 years the rack is perfect and I have loaded a lot more than 5 lb several times.

post-21543-0-72965700-1359912660.jpg

• Member Contributer

This is an old story.

2 years ago I have seen another guy with this problem, so, when I installed the Givi rack, I made a small modification in order to improve its strength .

After 2 years the rack is perfect and I have loaded a lot more than 5 lb several times.

Nice work, That looks completely professional/stock. Makes me want to do something similar to mine on my 6th gen. Nice stone work too! The U.S. is the only place that just throws out some cement and calls it good. :sad:

• Member Contributer

After worrying that my 6th gen rack may do the same thing, I went out in the garage to have a look. To my surprise, the 6th gen Givi already has additional support in that area - No mods required. Just a freak occurance with yours or is Givi cutting corners now that they shouldn't be cutting?

• Member Contributer

After worrying that my 6th gen rack may do the same thing, I went out in the garage to have a look. To my surprise, the 6th gen Givi already has additional support in that area - No mods required. Just a freak occurance with yours or is Givi cutting corners now that they shouldn't be cutting?

I think that bottle of Crown offers all the support anyone or anything could need.

This maybe be overkill but I drilled a hole from inside the box to the base plate and added a bolt. I heard of rare instance where topbox falls off due to not latching it down properly or some other failure. Since I rarely take the box off, it's not a big deal and also takes less than a couple minute to unscrew.

post-20375-0-88572100-1359971072.jpg

• Member Contributer

This is an old story.

attachicon.gifGivi.JPG

Yep!!!

That would be my story! LOL

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/61254-givi-topbox-bracket-anyone-installed-one-yet/page-2

Have since changed the weak hollow tubing for a 5mm thick iron bar. Now travel with the 52liter GIVI trekker with close to 20kg in it at at whatever speed my heart desires!!!

Will put up a picture tomorrow of the "new and improved" bracket!

Archived