Ordered Vfr1200 Hard Bags. Have You Had Issues

c50plus

Hello folks,

Old Harley guy here who discovered the virtues of the vfr1200. A few months ago I bought a 2010

VFR 1200 and I am in love with the bike. Best bike I have owned and I have owned a few.

I went to order the hard Honda side hardbags through my local Honda dealer and they said the bags are in back order. I still gave them $1400 for the bags ( no trunk). I am wondering how long I am going to have to wait before I see them. You guys know how long it might take based on your own experience. BTW, I am in south Florida.

Regards,

You might want to cancel that order with your dealer and order them here: http://www.accessories4bikes.com/vfr1200f-color-matched-saddlebags-p-11472.html

Sounds like the dealer is charging you MSRP. Don't know if there is a national backorder or not but at least these guys are the cheapest I've found.

I checked out the OEM hard saddlebags and was not impressed. Nothing wrong with the way they work, but may be I'm just spoiled by the C14's cavernous panniers. In any case, I'm going with the Givi PLX bags and SW Motech Contour quick disconnect racks.

The VFR1200 is a svelte bike and I personally see little sense in putting on same hideous if cavernous boxes. The OEM panniers suit the bike and I don't use my top box just pack light and use the panniers.

• Member Contributer

I too would cancel the order and email David Silver Spares in the UK and they can get them in a week and much cheaper shipped to your door.

http://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/contact/

They're not listed on the site, that's why you need to email them.

That's where I got mine last Nov.

I too would cancel the order and email David Silver Spares in the UK and they can get them in a week and much cheaper shipped to your door.

http://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/contact/

They're not listed on the site, that's why you need to email them.

That's where I got mine last Nov.

I ordered from David Silver Spares back when they still listed them on their site. Saved a ton of money, even with duty and exchange, and they came right away in perfect shape. I love the OEM bags and top box. Although they are small-ish, my XL Arai fits in the top box (not a pannier, though) and I can pack enough gear for a week away no problem between the 3 bags. No leaks, keyed to the ignition key, perfect colour match and they slip on and off slicker than goose poop. I couldn't be happier.

• Member Contributer
You might want to cancel that order with your dealer and order them here: http://www.accessories4bikes.com/vfr1200f-color-matched-saddlebags-p-11472.html

Sounds like the dealer is charging you MSRP. Don't know if there is a national backorder or not but at least these guys are the cheapest I've found.

I orderd my 6th Gen bags from them a few years ago. Best price I found anywhere. Nice to hear they have great pricing on the 7th Gens, too.

The OEM panniers will work fine if you also have a good size top case. I tried all kinds of ways to fit my XL Shoei X11 in either side, and no dice. They are also similar to the OEM panniers of the Sprint ST I had, in that the internal cavity has all kinds of nooks and protrusions, which makes loading hard items a bit difficult. Soft items like clothing and such are no problem.

I do agree, though, big panniers will mess up the lean looks of the VFR.

• Member Contributer
Just FYI...my large Arai profile helmet will fit in one of the side cases but not the other. I rarely actually carry it in the pannier...but it will fit.

Agree the OEM bags are not the same size or shape inside. My large Schuberth C3 also fits in one but not the other.

• Member Contributer

+1 on davidsilverspares. They now have a warehouse in Penn. when shipping to the USA. Way cheaper than just about anyone else.

• Member Contributer

I live in Canada, and when I ordered the bags close to the end of our riding season they were also on backorder.

The problems I had were that they were damaged during shpping, 3 times if you can believe it. I guess 4th time is a charm. :)

Ordered my side cases for my red VFR1200 for $1050 on September 21st, and I'm still waiting. Grrrrrrrrr. Honda US tells me the reason for the delay was due to problems at the Honda paint facility in Japan that was still operating at low production volume, due to the tsunami. Yeah.

Also wondering if the internal bags are worth getting.

Ordered my side cases for my red VFR1200 for $1050 on September 21st, and I'm still waiting. Grrrrrrrrr. Honda US tells me the reason for the delay was due to problems at the Honda paint facility in Japan that was still operating at low production volume, due to the tsunami. Yeah. Also wondering if the internal bags are worth getting.

Don't get the internal liners, they will reduce your capacity by 1/3rd

• Member Contributer
Ordered my side cases for my red VFR1200 for $1050 on September 21st, and I'm still waiting. Grrrrrrrrr. Honda US tells me the reason for the delay was due to problems at the Honda paint facility in Japan that was still operating at low production volume, due to the tsunami. Yeah. Also wondering if the internal bags are worth getting.

I think that's BS... I was told the same thing, then I contacted DavidSilverSpares and got mine a week later for $1125 shipped to my door.

They are much nicer than the OEM bags for my 6th gen. No brackets and easier to get on and off, plus it comes with the tumbler pins to key them to your existing key.

• Member Contributer

Had the same problem when I ordered mine. It took a call to Honda corporate, complained to them and my bags showed up in 4 days. Don't complain to the dealer they can not do anything, call corporate.

Shawn

Oh and don't let the dealer install them they will put the stupid reflectors on the bags.

• Member Contributer

I was trying to get the 2012 bags since August '12. Kept calling Honda corporate and finally on 1-28-13 they were able to give me a part number, after the customer service rep ("Cody") saw my phone call history and specifically sought out their "Accessories Expert". The "Accessories Expert" provided a part number. Why no dealers across the US can get this part number is baffling. He told me the top box was not available at this time.......... uh oh, sounds familiar ...

I gave the part number to my local dealer (well, not so local, but I drive further to deal with nicer folks/smaller shop). They came yesterday. They are really gorgeous. Beautiful fit 'n finish. I'm practical, though too, and have some other comments ... will try to post some pics/comments.

FYI, Part# for 2012 OEM hard bags: 08L70MGEC10ZA

• Member Contributer

I was trying to get the 2012 bags since August '12. Kept calling Honda corporate and finally on 1-28-13 they were able to give me a part number, after the customer service rep ("Cody") saw my phone call history and specifically sought out their "Accessories Expert". The "Accessories Expert" provided a part number. Why no dealers across the US can get this part number is baffling. He told me the top box was not available at this time.......... uh oh, sounds familiar ...

I gave the part number to my local dealer (well, not so local, but I drive further to deal with nicer folks/smaller shop). They came yesterday. They are really gorgeous. Beautiful fit 'n finish. I'm practical, though too, and have some other comments ... will try to post some pics/comments.

FYI, Part# for 2012 OEM hard bags: 08L70MGEC10ZA

Let's see them in the blue. :-)

• Member Contributer

Thanks Yokel. It's taken me years to go the "hard luggage" route since I don't like the looks in general, esp. on a sport tourer. I've loved the RKA soft tailpack (mounts directly to the seat without touching anything else on the bike http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/gallery/image/60300-antiques-deadwood-south-dakota/) but the RKA doesn't mount well on the 7th gen because of the tapered pillion seat. On the 1200f, I had to keep the bags in VFR style. I know square boxes are in my future, but pretty confident they'll be on a Beemer or other dual sport. Thanks for your comments ;-)

I've noticed that my left bag will allow water in, at least it did when sitting on the side stand, parked in the rain.

If you are traveling in the rain, you may want to pack your gear in a waterproof bag.

I've only had leakage in the left bag though, never in the top box or right bag, which makes me think it is an issue with water draining in when left on the side stand!

• 1 month later...

I had ordered a set of the OEM side bags in September, 2012, and after six months nothing has shown up. After too many conversations with Honda US, I took matters into my own hands and located a Canadian Honda Powersports dealer that has lots of bags in stock. They have 10 sets of the Candy Prominence Red bags in stock, ready to ship. So I asked the dealer I bought my bike and bags from, (SportHonda in Metuchen, NJ, they're awesome!) to cancel my US order, and they ordered the bags from Canada. My dealer is covering all the costs, including shipping from Canada to them, and then to me after they redo the locks to match my ignition key. I confirmed today the bags have shipped! So, if you are looking for bags, you can get them from:

Team Honda Powerhouse of Milton

905-864-8588

ask for Haley in parts, tell her Jim sent you!

The Candy Prominence Red bags are part # 08L51-MGE-111

They have other colors in stock also, so call Haley to check on inventory.

I have no idea why these bags are so damn hard to get in the US. Now I don't care. :>

HONDA JUST TOLD ME THEY DO NOT KNOW WHEN THEY CAN GET ME THE HARD BAGS (PANNIERS).THEY SAID THE OEM VENDOR HAS AN ISSUE AND CAN NOT PROVIDE BAGS IN A LONG TIME. I TELL YOU WHAT, I ALSO OWN A HARLEY AND HARLEY IS A MILLION TIMES BETTER THAN HONDA WHEN IT COMES TO ACCESORIES, BUT THEIR BIKES ARE NOT AS RELIABLE. OH WELL TIME TO TRADE IN FOR A ZX14

• 5 months later...

Archived