Captured Threads Spin Freely

awacs

• Member Contributer

5th Gen "ugh." There are two M5-10 screws that hold the upper cowl in place. The screws go into threaded inserts near the top of the cowl.

Or I should say, used to. Now in one of them, I can get a few threads engaged, at which point then the insert spins freely. What would you suggest? I can't get the screw in. (The other one is getting buggered and I probably need to run a tap down it -- but it still serves its purpose).

Thanks for any suggestions.

Aram

• Member Contributer
A little adhesive to stop the insert turning?

Loc tite? Super glue?

Try at your own risk, I dunno. :comp13:

It worked for me when I was repairing a buddy's 5th gen. The PO had broken loose the nut from the fairing and a bit of epoxy fixed it up great.

• Member Contributer

Loc tite? Super glue?

Thanks, I wanted to do that. But the insert won't pull out -- at all. It just spins. I don't see a way to get glue down around the outside of the insert.

Loc tite? Super glue?

It worked for me when I was repairing a buddy's 5th gen. The PO had broken loose the nut from the fairing and a bit of epoxy fixed it up great.

Maybe a dumb Q, but how did you get the glue to penetrate down around the insert? Or did you just put it around the lip?

Thanks.

They are called Well-Nuts.

Or in your case, "not-so-well-nuts".

Replace them with new, and carry on. They are on Ebay for cheap, get a couple dozen and you're good.

Make sure you get the right size to match yours, as they are not all alike. Measure your bolts to be sure.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=metric+well+nuts&_sacat=0&_from=R40

• Member Contributer

Thanks you last guys, but I think you're thinking of another fastener. I have a handful of well nuts available. This particular fastner is not one. It's metal with a tapped hole -- no rubber like a well nut would have -- glued (or somehow secured) into a pocket in the fairing. The bike has a few of them.

Your help sincerely appreciated though.

Aram

• Member Contributer

Yes, those have barbs that secure themselves inside the plastic housing. Wriggle them out and fill with epoxy. Make sure when you set the nut back in the housing you ensure it is plumb/flush or your screw/bolt will not seat properly.

Oh, the body anchors inside the fairing, like where the headlight attaches?

Yeah, the knurled brass piece has come adrift from the ABS plastic.

You can remove and then glue them back in place as suggested above.

Just be sure that before you glue it back in, test it to see if the bolt can thread cleanly through it before re-installation.

Might have to chase the threads with a tap if they are a bit damaged.

• Member Contributer

Thanks guys. I'll give it a shot. Remove, clean up with tap (somehow - not sure how I'm gonna hold the little bugger!) and glue.

Aram

• Member Contributer
Thanks guys. I'll give it a shot. Remove, clean up with tap (somehow - not sure how I'm gonna hold the little bugger!) and glue.

Aram

Couple of approaches:

- Chuck it in an electric drill (just to hold it!).

- Notch a piece of softwood and clamp it in a vise.

- File a couple of flats (or even one) on the sides. They'll just get filled with epoxy on reinstallation.

Glenn

• Member Contributer

I've had the same problem on several lower cowl well nuts. Easiest and best solution I’ve found is to just replace the defective ones. They wear out over time.

http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/model_years/856-honda-1998-interceptor-vfr800fi/assemblies/12899-lower-cowl

item 14, $3.37 apiece

When I order small parts on line I usually throw in other thing I know I am going to need like air filters, and oil filters to save on the shipping. Might as well order a handful of trim clips as well, item 16. I find I need to replace one or two of them regularly.

• Member Contributer

That was easy! I ordered a bottoming tap, and new screws and washers from McMaster-Carr. I received them today and went to work. The brass insert came out just far enough that I could coat it with CA glue, press it back in, and let it set. Not removing all the way it had an accidental advantage: I didn't have to worry about angling it when when I pressed it in.

Ran a tap down it, and all is well.

Thanks again - Aram

Archived