Buying A Used Zumo 550 - Is Lifetime Maps "transferable"?

doubled

• Member Contributer

Hi all - looking for some advice from the GPS experts here.

I'm going to buy a Garmin Zumo 550 from its current owner and I want to know if the lifetime maps feature is transferable to me?

Do I simply register the unit on mygarmin, or do I have to do something else?

Anything in particular in general that I should be concerned about?

Thanks in advance.

• Member Contributer

I *think* you need to get the login details from the owners, the ones he used to register the unit with the garmin website.

• Member Contributer

You should clarify it with Garmin.

When my registered Zumo 550 with lifetime maps was stolen from my car Garmin said the new "owner" would not be able to update the maps but other than that they could use every feature.

I *think* you need to get the login details from the owners, the ones he used to register the unit with the garmin website.
That is correct. I have registered my Garmins on seperate accounts using the product-id for the account name. That way, when I sell one, I can sell everything that comes with it, uncluding maps and map upgrades.

• Member Contributer

Thank you fellas. I knew my dutch friends would chime in:

post-19439-0-56686100-1358524328.jpg

I suspected that I may have to get the owners login info. I'll make sure I do this when I get the unit.

Great idea about setting up separate accounts, V4.

It's off topic but I thought I'd share a pic of my 1982 cb900f that won second place in the Japanese Vintage category of the 2013 Toronto International Motorcycle show:

post-19439-0-10787600-1358523997.jpg

Archived