Vfr800 Help Wanted (South Africa - Cape Town)

Guest Zollie

Hi there,

Do you have or know someone who has a Honda VFR 800 (VTEC) 2002 - 2009 model located in Cape Town, South Africa?

I have a suspected HISS (Honda ignition security system) related issue – (might be something else) and would like to test some parts, e.g. test the HISS “ring” / Arial from the one bike on the other etc.

I’m willing to pay ~R 500 (or if you aren't happy with that let me know and we can discuss) for a few hours of your (or your friends time) .

Let me know and no “funny” strings (or things) attached, just a VFR rider in need of some desperate assistance.

Thanks,

Wessel

null 8 two double 9 seven 29 two 3

Cape Town - Brackenfell - Vredekloof-East

post-26349-0-72127600-1354263675.jpg

• Member Contributer

Or you could buy my US-model ECU and solve the problem permanently!

Actually, I can probably help diagnose the issue. I know way too much about HISS. What's the behaviour when you put the key in and try to start the bike - specifically what does the FI light do?

Watch my YouTube video for some example behaviour too:

Or you could buy my US-model ECU and solve the problem permanently!

Actually, I can probably help diagnose the issue. I know way too much about HISS. What's the behaviour when you put the key in and try to start the bike - specifically what does the FI light do?

Watch my YouTube video for some example behaviour too:

Thanks Kaldek! Yes I watched the video a few times over the past few days.. Didn't know it was you... thanks it helped a lot.

Well yes my bike has different behavior, before I switch on:

Clock shows

HISS lights blinks intermittently

When I switch the ignition on, I can hear a realy click in the front and everything become eluminated.

OIL and NEUTRAL light stays on, the HISS lights goes off (even if the HISS ring is disconnected), and no FI light.

Further more I can see km's etc on the clocks...

The fuel pump doesn't prime, also no spark, the motor "swings" but obviously not starting..

How much are you looking for the US ECM and will it be compatible with 2006 EMC / harnass.

I tried testing my ECM but the manual is for a 2002 and it only has 26p connectors, mine has 33p .

Not sure if this is year or "market" (euro vs us) realted.

Also do you, or someone perhaps have a section of a manual how to test the 33p ECM (2006 Euro model).

Thanks MUCH appreciated!

• Member Contributer

OK this is not a HISS problem. Your ECU is not getting any power. First test is to check the black/white wire coming from the front left relay under the headlight fairing (I suggest removing it to access this area).

Tell me if you are getting +12 volts between the black/white wire and ground.

Possible culprit here could well be your bank angle sensor. They are known to fail. Pretty sure we can jumper this to bypass it if we need to, but let's do the black/white wire test first.

Now, the reason you think this is a HISS problem is because the HISS light blinking changes. Don't be fooled!!!

Here is how the HISS light functions:

- When ignition turned off, blink every few seconds (regardless of whether there is even an ECU connected or not!)

- When ignition turned on, only blink when instructed to by the ECU

So you see why the HISS light goes out? It's because the ignition was turned on. It has nothing to do with the ECU.

OK this is not a HISS problem. Your ECU is not getting any power. First test is to check the black/white wire coming from the front left relay under the headlight fairing (I suggest removing it to access this area).

Tell me if you are getting +12 volts between the black/white wire and ground.

Possible culprit here could well be your bank angle sensor. They are known to fail. Pretty sure we can jumper this to bypass it if we need to, but let's do the black/white wire test first.

Now, the reason you think this is a HISS problem is because the HISS light blinking changes. Don't be fooled!!!

Here is how the HISS light functions:

- When ignition turned off, blink every few seconds (regardless of whether there is even an ECU connected or not!)

- When ignition turned on, only blink when instructed to by the ECU

So you see why the HISS light goes out? It's because the ignition was turned on. It has nothing to do with the ECU.

Hi mate

Yes when ignition is switched on I get 12V on that relay, thanx for the info

At this stage Im trying to bypass the bank angle, I tried to bypass the bas with ignition on, by connecting red/yellow and white/black...no results.red/yellow and green...relay ticking. white/black and green...popped the bas fuse.

Still the bikes is dead as a stone...same as previous.

thanks again for your help.

Do you have info on how to check the 33p ecm?

Found another glitch. I tested the map sensor by removing the connector, the manual specify a voltage reading of 4.75 and 5.25 volts with the ignition OFF between the yellow/red wire and earth. There is no reading on mine, no power. As per the manual it seems this might point to:

-Open or short Circuit in Yellow/red wire

-Loose or poor contact on the ECM connectors

also tested the other combinations as manual prescribed... no luck

• Member Contributer

OK lets check for 12 volts at the black and white wire where it goes into the ECU. Turn off ignition and disconnect the ECU completely then turn ignition back on and test for power at the connector. You may need a pin to reach it.

If there is power here i would start considering this a case of a dead ECU.

Found another glitch. I tested the map sensor by removing the connector, the manual specify a voltage reading of 4.75 and 5.25 volts with the ignition OFF between the yellow/red wire and earth. There is no reading on mine, no power.

There will only be power here when the ignition is ON because the 5 volt reference signal is generated by the ECU. Still sounds like it's not booting up to me. Don't trust that bloody manual too much it is full of errors!

OK lets check for 12 volts at the black and white wire where it goes into the ECU. Turn off ignition and disconnect the ECU completely then turn ignition back on and test for power at the connector. You may need a pin to reach it.

Okay I've checked this on the Black/white wire on the "left" / black connector on the left plug of the ECU plug ("4th" one from the top right) and there is no power 0.00~ V with ignition off and or ignition on. - Tested with ignition on and off and the "harness" side.

Going to sleep for a few hours, thanks for the help, will continue in the morning, your help is much appreciated!

There will only be power here when the ignition is ON because the 5 volt reference signal is generated by the ECU. Still sounds like it's not booting up to me. Don't trust that bloody manual too much it is full of errors!

Ow ja, thanks, forgot to mention, tested this with ignition on and off with same results aka. nothing.

Okay I've checked this on the Black/white wire on the "left" / black connector on the left plug of the ECU plug ("4th" one from the top right) and there is no power 0.00~ V with ignition off and or ignition on. - Tested with ignition on and off and the "harness" side.

Going to sleep for a few hours, thanks for the help, will continue in the morning, your help is much appreciated!

Ow ja, thanks, forgot to mention, tested this with ignition on and off with same results aka. nothing.

Hi Kaldek,

Made rookie mistake 1.... Retested this morning with a "fresh" pair of eye's (and less brandy in the system)........ The kill switch was off and guess what; turned on and there is infact 12V on the Black connectors black/white wire (4th top right) to ground.

Dead ECM ?

RE: PM sent to you , thanks for the info on the price of the ECM; also can you give me a estimated price on BAS - Bank Angle Sensor (one of my "ears" - mounting brackets has broken off) and although it will only be cosmetic I would like it to be "right".

Thanks again for ALL your help, much appreciated!

As per our PM messages I just went to an Motorcycle Auto electrician here in Cape Town (Krogs) - he confirmed that the ECM is dead. So replacement part here I come...

• Member Contributer

To complement the thread, here is a useful Euro-spec PGM-FI wiring diagram for the 2002 RC46. (I got it from the 2002 European press pack CD-ROM; I dearly wish I had a similar one for the Y2k model... :smile:)

Ciao,

VFR VTEC PGM-FI Diagram 2002.pdf

• Member Contributer

Actually since Zollie's bike is an '08 he needs the other diagram for the later models.

I've boxed up an American ECU and extra wiring pin so he can mod his Euro-spec bike to US-spec. All he needs to do once it arrives is tap the new pin into the black/white wire and slot it into the right spare pin hole on the ECU connector.

Actually since Zollie's bike is an '08 he needs the other diagram for the later models.

I've boxed up an American ECU and extra wiring pin so he can mod his Euro-spec bike to US-spec. All he needs to do once it arrives is tap the new pin into the black/white wire and slot it into the right spare pin hole on the ECU connector.

2006 to be 100% accurate here ;)

Thanks again Kaldek, - will be sitting by my post box the next few days waiting for the mail man...

Received the ECU - thanks Kaldek!

Will fit later today and see if she starts!

Thinking of playing Chariots of fire before I put the key into the ignition...

Hi there,

Kaldek - once again thanks for you help! Fitted the ECU last night and did the wire mod as per your youtube video - ran it to the start relay black/white wire.

Started to fitt all the fearings, hopeing to have it all done tonight! Want to do Road Worthy tommorow for insurance purposes and take her for a nice long run the weekend!

Your help is much appreciated! Ps. We are taking a 5 - 6 000km trip in exactly two weeks; everything from long stretches of tar, to gravel to Salt pans.. follow it here: http://takeittothevmax.blogspot.com/

382123_10151371295434104_748639906_n.jpg

Sorry forgot to mentioned! Yes started first swing after the MOD!!!

Very happy! Not getting any real work done in the office today, waiting for the clock to run out so I can finish assembly! Was a few late nights this week, exhausted!

Once again tahnks Kaldek - couldn't / woudn't have been done without your help/knowledge!! If you ever head over the pond toe South Africa let me know; have lodging and a motorcycle you can use (Vmax and VFR). Much appreciated once again!

vfr800_done.jpg

She ran as smooth as butter today! The BT54's (tires) gave me a HUGE fright - lost the rear and almost highsided but luckily she is forgiving and control was regained; hats of to the VFR - weren't my "doing" that saved both our arses... Waiting to see if someone got footage as a guy with GoPro were riding fairly close.. Anyhow; I'm loving the VFR !

Once again thanks to all!

IMG-20121216-WA0005.jpg

IMG-20121216-WA0009.jpg

Archived