Air Filter / Spark Plugs

ninjadoc

I know this has been discussed before several times, I sort of been going through several threads and gathering bits of information. But wanted to get more updated views if people had any new suggestions.

Air filter

should i get the OEM one itself?

If other brand is it KN?

Is there really a performance brand as they describe for some air filter?

Spark Plugs

NGK spark plugs? any specific number to look up other than this IMR9B-9H

any performance brands out there as they claim?

These two i am planning on changing before the weatherization, Sort of revamping my girl, she is approaching 15k soon. Is there any thing else i can do to the bike to sort of "clean" up her internally. Oil and filter change is inevitable.

I use the OEM filter, works great. Haven't tried others.

Those expensive spark plugs last a very long time. I did not change mine until 55k miles, the bike ran perfect before and after, noticed no difference in performance or mileage.

• Member Contributer

I used OEM air filter. Fit perfectly, no issues.

Have not had to change plugs yet, only 12,000 miles after 4 years.

• Member Contributer

Two years on brake fluid. Clutch not as important. How about coolant? If you replace/flush that, remove the overflow bottle and wash it out really well. Crap in the bottom can contaminate.

thx for the input, yea almost forgot coolant, need to flush and fill, any suggestion on which to choose?

Emgo airfilter any good?

Far as I can tell, the EMGO is identical to OEM, I havent installed mine yet, but at $25 shipped off Amazon, that was great deal.

• Member Contributer

Air filter isn't going to make a huge difference. K&N, BMC, EMGO, OEM. All are good choices. Price point is the difference.

NGK CR9EH-9 and CR9EHIX-9 are also popular choices for plugs. Not sure plugs are needed at 16k though. Might be a bit early.

If your brake and clutch fluid look brown, change it out. If not, doesn't hurt to give it a few pumps anyways.

• Member Contributer

K&N air filter is about $10 more than Honda air filter (approximately $55) and has 1 million mile warranty for multiple uses.

If my memory services me correctly the service manual only states that those iridium plugs (one of the platinum metals...very hard substance) to be changed every 36,000 miles. NGK's are hard to beat!

Kevin in Atlanta

Ok I have A question. I am looking at oem parts and they list 4 different plugs for an 06 vfr800. what is the difference and which is best? also is there a better choice? I am replacing my stock air filter with a k&N if that makes a difference.

Archived