CBR929 Shock fitment, '02 non-ABS

1TallTXn

Got a shiny modded CBR929 shock from Jamie on Friday and am trying to put it in.

Bike is a 2002 VFR800 non-ABS. Everything involving the rear suspension is bone-stock.

No troubles getting it in the general area, but I cannot get the reservoir to clear enough to bolt it in.

With the reservoir to the rear, it's hitting the battery/wire tray on the left side, and the exhaust heat shield on the right.

With the reservoir to the front, it hits the brake lines that wrap around the cylinder head on the left side.

It is much closer to bolting in place with the reservoir to the front, but because of the brake lines, it's a total no go.

I saw several mentions of having to trim the battery box to allow the shock to clear, but I don't know that I can trim it enough (already trimmed ~0.5in off) to get it in.

Any wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

I'll be out back working on it some more. Will update if I manage to hold my tongue *just* right and get it in. :comp13:

Update.

After another 45min of jacking with it. I'm afraid that it really isn't going to fit.

I trimmed some more plastic off of each side, I was able to get the shock *almost* where it belonged.

Getting it there, I'm beginning to wonder if it'll fit at all.

The reservoir is getting really close to a few bits of the LBS. Why did Honda put that on here again?

Any wisdom from those that have already done this?

It's been done but requires the mounting brackets for the brake components to be modified. Use the search function. You'll find a comple discussion along with a sketch of t he modified bracket. Most folks fit F4i shocks on 6th gens as opposed to 929. The remote resivor makes it much easier.

It's been done but requires the mounting brackets for the brake components to be modified. Use the search function. You'll find a comple discussion along with a sketch of t he modified bracket. Most folks fit F4i shocks on 6th gens as opposed to 929. The remote resivor makes it much easier.

Any chance you have a link? I spent 2hrs digging around the forum, and Google, before I posted this thread.

Unless this shock absolutely will not fit, I'm not going another route as I already have ~$500 invested in this one.

Yep, the 929 is NOT a drop in mod on a Vtec and Jamie should know and tell you that when he sells someone a 929 shock for a vtec owner! :ohmy: A F4i shock is a Much Better Vtec mod.

It can be done, but as mentioned the bracket that holds all the rear brake components needs work.

See ''Vtec Shock Options" thread. Post 50 if i'm not mistaken.

http://www.vfrdiscus...-shock-options/

You'll have to dig for the mod, but it's in there!

BTW I'm sure Jamie would Build you a CBR F4i shock to replace this unit so you won't have to perform this mod.

BR

Yep, the 929 is NOT a drop in mod on a Vtec and Jamie should know and tell you that when he sells someone a 929 shock for a vtec owner! :ohmy: A F4i shock is a Much Better Vtec mod.

It can be done, but as mentioned the bracket that holds all the rear brake components needs work.

See ''Vtec Shock Options" thread.

BTW I'm sure Jamie would Build you a CBR F4i shock to replace this unit so you won't have to perform this mod.

BR

Thanks for the link BR. Somehow, I neglected to look in the Shock Options thread. Doh!

I already have an email to JamieD about advice to get this in. We'll see how that goes.

I think I failed to mention that JamieD did put his extender/adapter on the top of the 929 shock.

I can clearly see how there ain't no way in heck that a stock 929 shock would bolt in. And that's ignoring the large length difference.

Still waiting to hear back from JamieD directly.

• Member Contributer

See ''Vtec Shock Options" thread.

BR

Yes, I am quite aware of the details. I always try to discuss with the owner the various options and provide suggestions on what would be best for them. For the sixth gens the F4 shock is a must if you have ABS. On non-ABS models either the CBR929 or F4 shock will work (with the correct mounting, etc. parts).

Yes, I am quite aware of the details. I always try to discuss with the owner the various options and provide suggestions on what would be best for them. For the sixth gens the F4 shock is a must if you have ABS. On non-ABS models either the CBR929 or F4 shock will work (with the correct mounting, etc. parts).

Jamie,

From your experience what does it take to install a 929 shock on a Vtec? Do you know of a method to install one w/o having to Modify the bike?

Thx

BR

Jamie,

From your experience what does it take to install a 929 shock on a Vtec? Do you know of a method to install one w/o having to Modify the bike?

Thx

BR

Jamie?

Hey 1TallTXn, I'm the same situation as you.

Got a 929 shock from Jamie and just spent the whole day trying to get it in with no success.

Well, actually, I did manage to have it in and bolted at some point but with the reservoir facing the front but then I realized it was actually touching the cylinder head so I quickly took it apart again.

About to send an email to Jamie to see if he's got any advice on how to install it without having to cut/weld stuff...

Jamie,

Thx

BR

Jamie, there are at least two VFRD members having issues trying to install the 929 shocks on their Vtecs. These members Need to do better research on their own before buying and sending you a shock to rebuild, but YOU as the service provider need to know what work you are selling to our members also!

Again do you know How a 929 shock can be installed into a VFR Vtec bike w/o having to modify the rear brake sub-frame we would All like to know!

As far as I can tell the CBR F4/F4i shock is a Much better vtec(02-09) install and suffers NO fitment issues like the 929/954 shock does.

You do good work for our members and we appreciate that fact.

BR

Got a 929 shock from Jamie and just spent the whole day trying to get it in with no success.

Well, actually, I did manage to have it in and bolted at some point but with the reservoir facing the front but then I realized it was actually touching the cylinder head so I quickly took it apart again.

About to send an email to Jamie to see if he's got any advice on how to install it without having to cut/weld stuff...

The 929 shock will NOT work on a Vtec!!! I could be wrong, see latest post in the "vtec shock options" thread. I read in it today!

It can be done, but as mentioned the bracket that holds all the rear brake components needs modification. ( Unless your De-linking the entire bike!)

See ''Vtec Shock Options" thread. Post 50 if I'm not mistaken.

You needed a CBR F4i shock to send to Jamie!

BR

• Member Contributer

Jamie,

Thx

BR

I am not aware of any issues installing the 929 shock on a 6th Gen providing the reservoir is oriented in front of the shock body (i.e. forward). As noted, it can be done either way but mounting toward the rear requires some modifications. I always suggest mounting the reservoir forward but it is up to the owner which way they prefer.

I have built many of these for 6th Gen (02+) owners and they are currently on the road enjoying their upgraded suspension. Kevin, please ensure that you have the facts before posting. Thanks.

• Member Contributer

The 929 shock will NOT work on a Vtec!!! I could be wrong, see latest post in the "vtec shock options" thread. I read in it today!

It can be done, but as mentioned the bracket that holds all the rear brake components needs modification. ( Unless your De-linking the entire bike!)

BR

This owner was later able to get he shock installed without performing any modifications. It appears the the tight quarters is what had him concerned. His shock is now installed.

I'm told you figured out how to install this shock(929) w/o mods on your vtec. Can you please share with VFRD on how it was done, exactly what needs to be where and in what order, pics would be a huge plus.

Thanks in advance for your efforts!

BR

Maybe it's just me but mounting a 929 shock with the reservoir body mounted forward so close to the rear headers means major heat & heat means shock performance drops & higher chance of failure.

Maybe it's just me but mounting a 929 shock with the reservoir body mounted forward so close to the rear headers means major heat & heat means shock performance drops & higher chance of failure.

That would be my concern also!!!

BR

BR

Yup, that was me in post #50, must cut and remake a part of the bracket to fit the 929 shock, not just bolt it on.

Yes, I do agree that the res. is close to the cylinder head and headers, it is just the reservoir, which is mostly a bladder of nitrogen.

I have not noticed any dampening fade under a couple hours of twistys. Haven't taken it to the track... yet.

Here is a pick of how close it is on my '07 vfr (non-ABS). I did not make any mod's, but I did have to remove J.D.'s adapter and reinstall it after the shock was basically in position.

post-19596-0-27048800-1349042615.jpg

Yes its close, but not touching, and when the suspension is compressed it moves slightly away. (this pic was taken while on the center-stand, so this is as close as it will ever get.

And this is how it was working at Rd ATL. this summer.

post-19596-0-81353400-1349043493.jpg

I got out and messed with the shock again this afternoon.

I might be able to get the shock in IF I modify the left side brake mounting bracket.

Combine that with the closeness of the res to the header, I think i'll be sending it back for a F4i shock.

I have pics I took of what I'm seeing. I'll get those uploaded and linked in tomorrow.

Yes, I do agree that the res. is close to the cylinder head and headers, it is just the reservoir, which is mostly a bladder of nitrogen.

I have not noticed any dampening fade under a couple hours of twistys. Haven't taken it to the track... yet.

The reservoir holds the nitrogen charge but the other side of bladder is oil, the heat from headers will heat the entire shock body is a big way & heat causes increased pressure in the nitrogen charge, deterioration to the rubber bladder which are already the weak point in that shock design. Add major heat to oil which already heats up from shock operation & the more heat the faster the shock oil also deteriorates. There is about zero air flow in that area so cooling effect would be again about zero, maybe after a hour or so riding reach down & feel how hot the shock body is & I bet you can't even touch for any length of time due to the heat.

I'm in noway saying the shock isn't going to be an improvement over the standard shock but that type of install must surely drop shock service interval period & have an effect on shock performance if you use say the shocks peak performance in normal operation conditions to overheated conditions as a gauge. It is all good the average punter feeling the shock is better because it will be over the standard but for the average punter to feel the decline in shock performance is asking allot & most wouldn't feel it on the VFR. Any after market shock built for the VFR has a remote compression reservoir for a reason, there R&D looking at fitments & operation is why they have that design. There is really zero R&D bolting in place any shock other than what was designed for the VFR so you have to weigh up the advantages & disadvantages. The room is already tight but if I was going to use say the 929 shock I would make the effort to mount reservoir away from headers & would still wrap the rear headers in heat tape.

Slowhare, your '07 must have a different LBS bracket, or the shock reservoir is shorter than my '02.

Yes, I know my valve cover gaskets are leaking, they'll be replaced when I do the next valve check here reasonably soon.

Here's the brake lines that were initially in my way. before being "modded" (bent) out of the way.

lines-before2.jpg

After I moved them, it looked like this:

lines-before2.jpg

After bending the lines, I found the reservoir was going to hit the bracket for the LBS system.

clearance-below2.jpg

And a closer shot of the bracket:

clearance-below.jpg

Here's the bracket as viewed from above on the right side:

bracket-above.jpg

And, with the shock *almost* in place, here's the clearance between the header and cylinder head:

clearance.jpg

Bike is presently apart, so if there's more pics you'd like, let me know ASAP.

Going to slap the OEM shock back in there so I can change the oil and seals in the forks while I figure out the plan for the rear.

Thanks for the posts and pics guys!

I would NOT want to run a shock on my bike basically having it cooking itself. The whole idea of the remote reservoir is to get the charge and oil away from heat, not to put it into the oven. :huh:

Now for track days it might not be as bad as your only riding for 15-20 mins. at a time, but like zROYz stated this orientation of the reservoir will only cause issues(shock fade) that you are trying to avoid IMO!

BR

I got it in too.!

Jamie had been of great help through the process, you in fact he is still helping me with the forks as I stuffed that up myself.

All you need to get installed is to remove Jamie's bracket before getting the shock in. Then you can route the shock with reservoir facing the front (it gets close to the cylinder head but doesn't touch it) and screw the brackets back wit a bit of fiddling (it's all pretty tight in there to get the Allen key in) but it's doable without mods, all you need is patience and a steady hand.

I highly recommend Jamie's work to everyone in need of suspension type work on a VFR.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

Archived