CBR929 Shock fitment, '02 non-ABS

1TallTXn

I got it in too.!

Jamie had been of great help through the process, you in fact he is still helping me with the forks as I stuffed that up myself.

All you need to get installed is to remove Jamie's bracket before getting the shock in. Then you can route the shock with reservoir facing the front (it gets close to the cylinder head but doesn't touch it) and screw the brackets back wit a bit of fiddling (it's all pretty tight in there to get the Allen key in) but it's doable without mods, all you need is patience and a steady hand.

I highly recommend Jamie's work to everyone in need of suspension type work on a VFR.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

How is your reservoir clearing the LBS system bracket?

In my bike, I don't see how removing JD's adapter is going to make any difference. It's not his adapter that's causing the problem, it's the reservoir/brake-system-bracket clearance issues.

I got it in too.!

Jamie had been of great help through the process, you in fact he is still helping me with the forks as I stuffed that up myself.

All you need to get installed is to remove Jamie's bracket before getting the shock in. Then you can route the shock with reservoir facing the front (it gets close to the cylinder head but doesn't touch it) and screw the brackets back wit a bit of fiddling (it's all pretty tight in there to get the Allen key in) but it's doable without mods, all you need is patience and a steady hand.

I highly recommend Jamie's work to everyone in need of suspension type work on a VFR.

In my bike, I don't see how removing JD's adapter is going to make any difference. It's not his adapter that's causing the problem, it's the reservoir/brake-system-bracket clearance issues.

Their facing the reservoir forward over the headers and next to the head. I think the bracket only gets in the way when you try to install the shock how it's designed to run with the reservoir facing reward away from all that extra heat!

BR

I got it in too.!

Their facing the reservoir forward over the headers and next to the head. I think the bracket only gets in the way when you try to install the shock how it's designed to run with the reservoir facing reward away from all that extra heat!

BR

The left side of the bracket gets in the way of mounting the reservoir forward. The right side of the bracket gets in the way of mounting the reservoir to the rear. Along with the battery box and various other bits.

My '02 may be different, no telling.

There is basically no space to the bracket. I couldn't get a good pic of it (bike still together, and I probably won't take it apart anytime soon), but there is evidence the lip of the shock reservoir has made slight contact with the bracket. (Although certainly not a preferred condition, it is so slight that I doubt there are any real functional concerns).

I honestly thought it cleared it when I first installed the shock, maybe I missed that it was barely bumping/rubbing it the whole time.

I didn't have to "force" anything, it just slipped right in. The bracket on the left has enough space for the reservoir to slot in there or at least it does on my bike. BTW, mine is an '02 model as well.

In insight, the problems I had fitting the shock with the adapter in place were caused by the cat on the pipes not giving me enough space to maneuver. Maybe removing the headers completely or with non-cat headers it would fit right in without having to remove the adapter, but I guess that's not the issue here.

Good stuff guys as others want to know what it takes!

But again I would suggest others have Jamie build a F4i shock for their Vtecs instead of using the 929 shock. The F4i install will be Much easier and long term function will be vastly improved by getting the remote reservoir away the heat of the engine/headers!

BR

I didn't have to "force" anything, it just slipped right in. The bracket on the left has enough space for the reservoir to slot in there or at least it does on my bike. BTW, mine is an '02 model as well.

In insight, the problems I had fitting the shock with the adapter in place were caused by the cat on the pipes not giving me enough space to maneuver. Maybe removing the headers completely or with non-cat headers it would fit right in without having to remove the adapter, but I guess that's not the issue here.

I got the shock to go right in the hole with JD's adapter on the top, I'll have to take a couple pics of that process, took a few tries to get it right.

I did have to take the mount off of the sock to get it in. Loosely fitted that in it's place then fed the shock up to it.

I'll have to play with it a bit more when I have time. Still would prefer to put a F4i shock in there and keep that reservoir away from the heat. Email sent to JD to see about that.

spent another 20+ min messing with that shock this evening. Still the same result.

I can get the shock *almost* in place, but not quite. It's hitting on the bracket as shown in the pics above and cannot be moved anywhere to get past that.

Removing JD's adapter didn't do jack squat. May help getting it in around the swing arm, but makes zero difference getting it to bolt in place.

I don't know what it is that I'm doing or not doing to make this not work, but I'm tired of messing with it. At this point the bike has the OEM shock back in so I could work on the front end.

• 3 weeks later...

Jamie hooked me up with a shiny F4 shock.

Got it installed over the weekend. Only needed minor trimming of the wire tray around the battery and a couple zip ties to hold the reservoir in place.

IMG_20121019_191232.jpg

IMG_20121019_191220.jpg

• Member Contributer

Photo of finished intall? Please?

Does the F4i shock have compression damping adjustment?

Photo of finished intall? Please?

I included a quick shot in my last post, is there anything else you'd like?

Beyond the trimming of the battery box, it's a bolt-in.

Oh, I forgot to mention that the F4 shock puts the preload adjuster at the bottom of the shock. This may be great for the CBR, but our fat SSSAs get in the way. I'll get a better shot of that this evening (hopefully)

Oh, I forgot to mention that the F4 shock puts the preload adjuster at the bottom of the shock. This may be great for the CBR, but our fat SSSAs get in the way. I'll get a better shot of that this evening (hopefully)

Yeah, that is/was the only down side of the F4/F4i shock install on the Vtec was a difficult adjuster location. But if you are like most folks, once you set Sag you'll rarely touch it.

BR

BTW I'm assuming there is an upper mount extension installed on the top of the shock?

Yeah, that is/was the only down side of the F4/F4i shock install on the Vtec was a difficult adjuster location. But if you are like most folks, once you set Sag you'll rarely touch it.

BR

BTW I'm assuming there is an upper mount extension installed on the top of the shock?

Yes, JamieD included a modified upper bracket. Basically a longer bolt with a ~10-12mm spacer (guessing here)

BR

Yes, JamieD included a modified upper bracket. Basically a longer bolt with a ~10-12mm spacer (guessing here)

That's a good guess as the F4i shock is around 13-14mm shorter than a Vtec shock. 305mm on an F4i vs 317mm on the Vtec.

Think I've seen 314 & 317 for Vtec shock length, don't have the exact number myself.

:rolleyes:

BR

Archived