Deluxo Helmeto.

Yokel

• Member Contributer

I don't know your particular reasons for excluding a modular helmet, but I can tell you that I've been very, very happy with mine. To be honest, I doubt that I'd ever return to a non-modular again, and I've been a life-long full face helmet wearer up to this point.

I also understand that there are some valid concerns that I can completely understand why some people would not consider a modular.

I bought a modular Nolan, was the noisiest and poorest fitting helmet I've had. Had it for 2 hours, ripping headache and slightly deaf.

I figure the wind noise was the shell design... obviously, some helmets will fit differently than others, so I'm not holding Nolan accountible for the discomfort.

Are the Shoei's relatively quiet?

Frankly, I would consider another modular if the noise ratio wasn't ridiculous. Looking at Shoei's neotech since it's got the flippy visor... that's a HUGE thing for me.

Shark Vision-R is an excellent helmet, it has groves for glasses in the lining. I have one and love it. Second helmet is agv horizon, has flip down sun visor. Both are excellent and have very good qualities.

Go with fit more than the brand name. Make sure you get the right fit and it has what you need.

The new shoei Neotec is an excellent flip-face helmet and come with a sun visor, also one of the least noisiest helmets i have ever used. Try as many as possible.

arai for me this is my third arai in about 20 years of riding and love it

its light and well fitting and swapping visor is easy after the first few tries

and theres room for a intercom unit around the ears for your bluetooth or mp3 :tour:

I rode with Shoei helmets for a number of years and really liked them. Then, they seemed to change the shape and I couldn't find one that felt comfortable. For the past 4 years I've had an Arai Vector and really like it. It is more comfortable than any other helmet I've ever owned (about 9 of them total). If I had to replace it tomorrow, I'd go back with an Arai, probably the Vector 2 if it fit me the same as the original Vector.

• Member Contributer

I started out with Icons. Very nice graphics, not bad helmets, but a little heavy. Now I've got the Arai Vector (old model). I love it. The liner is one of the most comfortable I've found, next to Schuberth. But I don't think I have the right head shape for Schuberth. It was mentioned before, but determine the shape of your head first. That's about the most important thing for a helmet to fit properly and be comfortable. I agree that Arai has the broadest range of shapes. Most other manufacturers have only 1, maybe 2 shapes.

I've had problems with my visor, so I don't replace it much. I've got a clear shield with a tint strip along the top for riding into the sun in the morning. Works fine. And my glasses fit comfortably. My biggest gripe about the Vector (which has since been corrected with the new model) is the non-removable liner. It would make cleaning a lot easier.

I had a Suomy Spec1-R. Super light helmet, but noisy. Though that could have been due to the fact it wasn't the right shape for my head. The graphics on Suomys are also top notch.

I tried on the Bilt ones at CG, just to check them out. Pretty much what you'd expect from a $100 (or less) helmet. Felt like I was wearing a bucket.

• Member Contributer

Won't comment too much other then to say I like my Shark RSR2 - have had Arai and Shoei's as well and perfer the Shark.

You may want to look at this site if your interested in the actual protection offered - probably the most comprehensive in the world and shows that all is not as it seems - i.e. Arai's boast about why it uses side pods. Have tested (job related not crashing) some and would say the British SHARP ratings are bang on.

http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/

• Member Contributer

Got a Schuberth C3 and Shoe X-11. Schuberth is great but is tight under the chin. Flip down internal shade visor is a plus. Shoei fits me better.

If I were in the market today I'd buy an RF1100.

• Member Contributer

I have a Scorpion EXO1100 because of the nifty internal shade visor ... but didn't like it ... not dark enough to act like sunglasses, perception issues with 2 visors and not enough wind protection with just the "shades" down.

Now have a Shoei RF1100 and a strip of window tint across the top of the visor ... cheap, easy to apply (approx. 1" across the top of the visor) and you can pick the shade you want.

• Member Contributer

Won't comment too much other then to say I like my Shark RSR2 - have had Arai and Shoei's as well and perfer the Shark.

You may want to look at this site if your interested in the actual protection offered - probably the most comprehensive in the world and shows that all is not as it seems - i.e. Arai's boast about why it uses side pods. Have tested (job related not crashing) some and would say the British SHARP ratings are bang on.

http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/

Great information on the link, thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Picked up a Shoei Qwest.

When I tried it on I heard a little voice in my head sigh and say... "I'm home...."

:wub:

Thanks to everyone for the opinions! Was a great help.

Archived