Steel Braided Lines

Duc2V4

Question

• Member Contributer

So I'm going on the hunt for steel braided clutch/brake lines for my 2009 VR800. These are the makers that I know of; Galfer, Goodridge, Hel, Russell, Spiegler and so far found that Galfer and Hel have full line replacement kits for the VFR800, I have not looked into the others as of yet. So what I was hoping to find out is, if any members have any other makers that I might look into, and/or if there are any comments on the makers listed as to fit/finish of their products. I'm not too worried about price, although the less I spend the better, I am more concerned with quality and reliability. After all, these are my brake lines I'm talking about. I know there's also the make your own lines route, but I would prefer to buy pre-made lines from a quality maker than taking a chance of my doing something wrong or "not to spec".

Cheers!

• Member Contributer

Number9 ,I install a Galfer SS brake lines, me personally , i would not purchase another set. The fit was terrible. I email them and never got a response.

If you decide to do a group buy checkout some of the other suppliers and I mite purchase set for the 08 ABS VFR.

• Member Contributer

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/79829-6th-gen-galfer-brake-line-group-buy/

You may want to check and see if you can start another group buy to benefit more and save a few bucks.

Great idea, thanks!

Number9 ,I install a Galfer SS brake lines, me personally , i would not purchase another set. The fit was terrible. I email them and never got a response.

If you decide to do a group buy checkout some of the other suppliers and I mite purchase set for the 08 ABS VFR.

Would you mind elaborating on what parts of the fit you didn't like? Were the lines the wrong length, or the connectors the wrong size/orientation, or..?

I have used Galfer on a previous Ducati but that was several years ago.

• Member Contributer

Would you mind elaborating on what parts of the fit you didn't like? Were the lines the wrong length, or the connectors the wrong size/orientation, or..?

I have used Galfer on a previous Ducati but that was several years ago.

Rear brake line were 5 or 6 inches too long . And the front lines were little too long. I believe they used a bike with HeliBars to make the original set.

post-13109-0-80089700-1438879135.jpg

5-6 too long, is a bit of a stretch, certainly nothing to get tangled up about...

I would say nothing looks out of sort with the Galfers except maybe with the one "stacked" bango(s) on the inside of the clutch side frt caliper.

You know, the one that looks like an L.A. freeway interchange. Can't remember if the O.E. was stacked or not. That some special plumbing right there.

I'm curious to see how easy the caliper is to remove and replace for wheel/brake work.

A few thousand miles down the road so far and thumbs up!

• Member Contributer

attachicon.gifIMG_3121.jpg

5-6 too long, is a bit of a stretch, certainly nothing to get tangled up about...

I would say nothing looks out of sort with the Galfers except maybe with the one "stacked" bango(s) on the inside of the clutch side frt caliper.

You know, the one that looks like an L.A. freeway interchange. Can't remember if the O.E. was stacked or not. That some special plumbing right there.

I'm curious to see how easy the caliper is to remove and replace for wheel/brake work.

A few thousand miles down the road so far and thumbs up!

Yours looks nothing like mine . At the back of my wheel there was a loop of brake line almost as high the wheel .

• Member Contributer

On my 5th gen I used 2lines and a double banjo bolt right from the master cylinder on down . I think the are available in a few places 42" and a 44" lines I think were the correct length and a 40" line for the clutch . Please make sure you do a quick measurement as I am not sure if the Helibars were on or not .

Archived