Very worrisome sound now...

Guest ArizonaRC36

Guest ArizonaRC36

Last few weeks, when starting up the VFR for the first time before a ride, been hearing progressively louder ticking... then more into slight "rattle" sound. Now today just seems much louder "rattle" sounds. A bit more on the right side of the bike... somewhere mid to upper part near the carb/cyclinder areas. Not 100% sure of the exact location, but left side is not as bad sounding per say.

Last few days, coming back from a ride, the sounds weren't as noticeable as when the bike is first started up after sitting and is completely cooled down.

I had my buddy pick up the bike today to bring to his shop, until I can get to it. I am really worried, he mentioned that it could be a "spun main bearing"... ??????? Or possibly, though unlikely... the oil pump let go.

I've never heard or had a bike that had a spun main bearing. Could this be the case? Bike has appx 30,000 miles, never had valve adjustments done yet, oil changed every 2500 mi and no other opperating issues until now.

Any help would be welcomed.

• Member Contributer

1st up

remove the side panels and remove the gas tank..

place i tank a on crate on table close by..and run a long gas line to the fuel pump..

remove the airbox... ..

now..check ALL the freaking bolts around and on the motor..

all tight?

run the bike.. and listen for the noise..and pray...

if you have a mechanic stethoscope that would be great.. if not.. a long screw driver with a solid handle works OK. ( as far as i remember anyway.. deaf now! :tongue: )

hopefully your hearing loose bolts if not... :sad:

now remember.. this is a gear driven model.. there are gears in the middle of the motor that COULD be loose.. really freaking rare.. but Possible that the gear train spindle got blown.

keep us updated.

• Member Contributer

before you start drilling.......

Mine sometimes has a ticking noise, sometime it doesnot.

If you can record a small video/sound, we can tell you if we recognise it.

mine has 70k km, never been opened, the engine doesnot get an easy low rev life..............

a used engine costs around 300 bucks. here so no point in spending money on undressing her and drilling a hole....

• Member Contributer

a used engine costs around 300 bucks. here so no point in spending money on undressing her and drilling a hole....

spending money? its a do it yourself project...he is in AZ home of the biggest motorcycle yard on earth.

Archived