What is this baffle plate for? VFR 1200

• Member Contributer

it helps control back pressure..

aka giving you added torque at the green and opens as you go faster .

if you dont believe me..

go test any bike with straight pipes on a dyno..

then hold a screw driver blade down the middle .. you will see a 3 to 5 %hp bump . down low..ditto for torque..

but the power will be lost at higher rpm.

• Member Contributer

yes you can by pass them.

either remove the plates or cut it out and weld up a straight pipe..

remove the cable and wire the damn thing open. lots of ways to do so..

you just lose a little off the line grunt.

It can be disabled simply by disconnecting the cable from the servo motor under your seat. The default position is open. Don't cut anything or wire anything open.

It's there to pass noise tests. You do not get more torque when it's closed.

• Member Contributer

It can be disabled simply by disconnecting the cable from the servo motor under your seat. The default position is open. Don't cut anything or wire anything open.

no offence but you are wrong about this.

run the same bike with it open and one when it hooked up and WILL see more power and torque at the start.

as for cutting it off.. it saves weight!! they are heavy buggers!!

• Member Contributer

actually.. the whole concept was taken from the yamaha exup way back in 87.. the valve increases low to mid range torque with out sacrificing any top end power.

every one else has been coping the idea since.

• Member Contributer

I was wondering about, why it was there. I asumed it was for noise reduction too. It does sound better when it's opened up. I don't need anymore horsepower, this thing has plenty :ohmy: Just liked the sound better, don't really want to buy a new slip-on.

Disliking any excessive noise allways wondering what most bikers do like in having an noisy ride ?

Wanna be seen, craving for attention or just plain stupid ? Who knoow, know one thing.

It aint me babe;-))

Disliking any excessive noise allways wondering what most bikers do like in having an noisy ride ?

Wanna be seen, craving for attention or just plain stupid ? Who knoow, know one thing.

It aint me babe;-))

No joke, but I filter all the time. I tried to keep the bike in first but you'd even have a decent pace to have the "noise". This helps cars around me (honestly, it's not that loud) be aware of my presence.

Until I found out it can just be disconnected. Filtering gets a lot easier, as the bike rumbles a bit even at very low rpm.

• Member Contributer

OK, so I removed the Cable and tried to remove the Servo Motor, but I got and engine light without it connected. Has anyone found a way to bypass this? So we can remove this huge chunk of crap... :ohmy:

• Member Contributer

OK, so I removed the Cable and tried to remove the Servo Motor, but I got and engine light without it connected. Has anyone found a way to bypass this? So we can remove this huge chunk of crap... :ohmy:

Servo motor stays in, that saves the engine light. It's gotta be connected and still is on my machine with my aftermarket can. The cable is removed and that's it.. Don't think anyone's hotwired a bypass.

While your in there remove the triangle thingie under the end cap that covers the second exhaust port. Makes it sound even better. I also have 10,000 miles on mine which also makes it a little louder. Short shift it and they will think its a v twin, until you wind her up. I've had a few ask me what it is. To people used to the huge v twins it seems small at 1200. And it is no how loud.

run the same bike with it open and one when it hooked up and WILL see more power and torque at the start.

No I'm not, no you won't, no it doesn't. Yes they are.

:tour:

No I'm not, no you won't, no it doesn't. Yes they are.

:tour:

gll thinks it is an EXUP style valve in the collector under the engine. If this were the case he would be correct. He does not understand what is being referred to in this thread.

I'd be interested in removing the servo, got some essential gear that would be easier to carry, and that "pocket" that contains the servo would be an ideal spot for a luggage net :laugh: .

Anybody an idea on how to disconnect it without the engine error?

How hard can it be?

Archived