86' 750F air fuel mixture screw.....help

Guest dlong

Hello new to the site, looks great!

I have a 1986 750F has been in storage the last 6 years. yeah I know! I got a gasket kit 4 years ago just never got there. I started going through the carbs and all was looking good till I failed to notice there is a washer behind the spring on the air/fuel mix screw. I have one left. I can't seem to find this small washer. no help from the dealer- not available- only can find newer magna 750 kits with the whole screw kit for $23 or so. Anyone out there know where I can get this washer? I'd hate to pay 70 bucks for 3 washers. Thanks for any help

Darin

• Member Contributer

that small washer is not SUPER important..

it just keeps the bottom of the oring flat.. aka adding a few years to its life.

try talking to the mechanics.. they may have a stash of carb bits. NOT the goobers at the parts counter..

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Never leave the washer out!! I have solved idling problems with some bike's. They had a few missing washers. Without the washer it is possible, that the O ring isn't perfectly closing, affecting the idle mixture. One bike would'nt run below 3000 rpm, after repairing the idle mixture screws the bike ran perfect.

• 2 weeks later...

If you don't find any washers, Mike Nixon should have them in stock. You can contact him through his web site at http://www.motorcycleproject.com/

Some guys...always out to make a buck.

There's a guy somewhere who wants over two and a half bucks. EACH! Which people even pay, if you can believe that.

I buy them, and the orings, by the thousands. And for years now I've been handing them out foursy sixy (CBX you know) if you send me a sase.

• Member Contributer

Never leave the washer out!! I have solved idling problems with some bike's. They had a few missing washers. Without the washer it is possible, that the O ring isn't perfectly closing, affecting the idle mixture. One bike would'nt run below 3000 rpm, after repairing the idle mixture screws the bike ran perfect.

I agree... leaving the washers out is bad advice... carbs don't like half ass jobs...

It's also not just about the washer and oring. Aftermarket springs that come in kits should be tossed. If you look closely you'll see that they are merely clipped. The raw end will catch on the head of the screw and rotate like a drill bit, in some cases deforming the washer and oring on first-install. OEM springs are ground flat on the ends and exert even pressure with no binding.

Sometimes the teensiest thing matters...

OSC

Archived