Max side to side runout for gen3 front wheel?

Guest JeffLaurence

Guest JeffLaurence

New Battlax front wobbles very slightly when stopping- what is the max allowable runout on the front wheel? I bought this bike used and don't know it's history-- couldn't ride it before buying.

Thanks,

Jeff

Geeze, for me personally, it would be as close to zero as possible. I think anything you can sense or see from the "driver's seat" can certainly be considered unacceptable. Are you sure it's a bent wheel and not any issues with the head or wheel bearings?

Beck

95 VFR

I'm looking at all possibilities- that's why I wanted to know the runout for the wheel first.I'm going to replace the wheel bearings first,

I also have tapered rollers for the head. Bike has 60k Km on it so???

Had the tire dismounted and mounted again, and balanced- perfect. Wheel bearings are good-no play ,smooth turning. Head bearings feel smooth turning side to side, but I've read somewhere (here?) that there should be some resistance as the the bars sweep side to side? I don't think the steering bearings have ever been looked at, let alone adjusted. Bike still wobbles on the front,

so it's either the (new ) tire or the head bearings, right?

Thanks,

Jeff

Had the tire dismounted and mounted again, and balanced- perfect. Wheel bearings are good-no play ,smooth turning. Head bearings feel smooth turning side to side, but I've read somewhere (here?) that there should be some resistance as the the bars sweep side to side? I don't think the steering bearings have ever been looked at, let alone adjusted. Bike still wobbles on the front,

so it's either the (new ) tire or the head bearings, right?

Thanks,

Jeff

When you say "Bike still wobbles on the front," do you mean spinning the tire or running down the road.

Jack the front wheel off the ground and spin the wheel while holding any straight object like a pencil against the fork tube and pointed at the rim edge. Slide the tip as close to the spinning wheel as possible and you will see if it's the rim or tire moving.

BR

Wheel and tire spin almost dead true- wheel maybe 10 thou.side to side, tire maybe 30-40 thou. When riding the bike there is no mistaking it for a wobble. Like I said I doubt the steering bearings have ever been looked at.

Jeff

• Member Contributer

Steering head bearings MAY play part of a headshake, if that's what you mean by wobble. Usually it's a cupped front tire that causes a shake though. If it's wobbling up and down or side to side, then it's the front wheel. Either it wasn't centered properly when it was put back on, or the wheel is out of spec.

When it "wobbles" , are you applying the frt brakes as you say in your first post that it happens when slowing down. If it is when braking then it could be the front rotors are warped or there is runout in the rotors due to corrosion as they are mounted solidly to the wheel and not floating like the 4th gens. It wouldn't hurt to check the runout of the rotors also with a dial indicator.

Kman

Update- Fixed the problem!!!!!!!

Replaced Battlax with Michelin Pilot Road 2-- Absolutely perfect!!!!!!!!!

Maybe I got a bad Battlax 021-- I don't know - but the wobbles and wiggles are gone!!!!!!!!

Tracks dead true and straight, just like you would expect.

Very Pleased

• Member Contributer

When you put the tapered rollers in, you will see an overall improvement in the front end. Be sure not to torque them down more than about 4-5 pounds because unlike the roller bearings that are torqued to a much higher figure (something like 20-30 pounds) the taper rollers have a larger surface area contacting the race and only need a bit of pressure to be correct.

If you over torque taper rollers, the bike may go back to wobbling or swimming as it commonly known when the brakes are applied.

Archived