How to Measure Chain Slack?

phoenixfire

Hi all,

How do you measure your chain slack?

Steps I've done.

Set bike on centerstand

Find tightest spot of chain mid-way between sprockets

When I push the chain upwards the chain hits the swingarm. When I push the chain downwards it only moves a few mms.

How are you supposed to measure the slack if the swingarm gets in the way?

I'm riding the 5th gen (99)

• Member Contributer

How far is it from the top of the chain measurement when it hits the swingarm to top when you pull it down?It should be 5/8" to 1" if memory serves me right.

Measure the link pins travel from top to bottom of the chains travel, if it's set correctly it WILL touch the swing arm (just barely).

I set my 6gen at 1 and a quarter inches. Once you get use to it from measuring if you check at the same spot under the swingarm you can check without the tape from how hard/soft it touches the arm. It says to check half way between the sprockets, but moving forward just a little will give you some more clearance ....... Better a little loose than tight.........

• 3 weeks later...

Question. Did the adjustment last night. Double check the slack to 1 & 1/4 in (on the center stand). My question is should the chain be tight after riding and parked on it's side stand?

It's going to be tighter on the side stand, also depends on how weak your rear shock spring is, check on the centre stand......... cold chain.

After adjusting it, the feel of the bike is soo much smoother vs jerky (Slacky/Slappy). Thanks for sharing the great info! What is the normal life span of a chain. Previous owner installed a new one about 3 years ago and has about 5k miles on it?

Thanks again!

• Member Contributer

My method:

1 - Adjust tension on the center stand until it is not too tight and not too loose

2 - put on side stand and kick the chain with foot.

If it just reaches the bottom of the swingarm with some tension on it, call it a day.

Otherwise tighten/loosen as required.

This has worked for me.

• Member Contributer

I got some 35,000km of my OEM 4th gen chain. Still on my 2nd chain at almost 70000 kms

I use a scotoiler and rarely check adjust the chain, clean it once every 5 years cane the crap out of it. :tongue:

so unless your chain was never lubed and parked at the seafront, you should be ok with 5k miles

• Member Contributer

I've got 20K miles on the OEM chain and sprockets. Have only had to adjust twice. Lube every 500 miles. Looks like it has a fair amount of life left.

• Member Contributer

as for the correct slack, a = apprx 1.25 inch

73d67947.jpg

Archived