Changing Stator, any tips?

I'm going to be changing the stator and was wondering if anyone had any tips? I know to tie something to the connector to make it easier to guide it back through. Someone also mentioned the guide bolts for putting the cover back on but anything else to consider?

How much oil does come out when removing the stator cover? Would it be beneficial to drain the engine oil before this? I also have to pick up some sort of sealant for the stator cable grommet apparently, the manual does not mention what type, just "sealant".

• Member Contributer

Doing mine this weekend. I have already removed everything, now it's just putting it back together. With the bike on the centerstand not much oil comes out. If you have to move the bike any (while the stator cover is off) more oil could leak out. I had to move my bike from the center of my garage (after I had pulled all the parts) so I drained the oil. Any high temp gasket sealer will work.

I'm replacing my stator, voltage reg/rect and battery. The stator was original (9 years, 60,000 miles) and was bad based on my voltage measurements. The voltage reg/rect was approx. 6 years old and had been previously replaced under warranty. My battery was 3 years old and just starting to go bad. So I decided to replace all three to eliminate any possible issues. I'm also checking all my wiring harness connections, cleaning them up, etc.

Good luck.

See your in Illinois. I'm from Peoria, graduated from WIU (many years ago). Was just back for a weeding last May.

Mark

Did you know you can remove the white plastic stator connector from the end of the three yellow white wires so the end is small enough to pull through the V of the engine?

The Honda mechanic here did not know that and spliced in extra wire so the plug was installed on the left side of the engine. That stator lasted one week. :pissed:

Good thing you are doing this yourself, it is the only way to get it done right.

Sealant: Honda Bond 4

• Member Contributer

Also make sure you have a new gasket for the stator cover and a sharp blade type scrapper to remove the old gasket which is likely to be heat sealed to the side cover. With the bike on the centerstand there shouldn't be more than an ounce or two of oil. Since you'll have the need to remove the plastic from both sides of the bike this would also be the pefect opportunity to do an oil/filter change. All the bolts that hold the stator cover in place are the same size so don't worry about mixing them up. Also note that the magnetic force of the stator will make the cover difficult to remove once the bolts are out so be prepared to use a little force on the the cover by hitting with a rubber mallet or even better using a flat non-marring tool to help pry it away.

Rollin

• Member Contributer

I did what Switchblade mentioned, cut the wires on the old stator and used them to pull the new wires thru. I raised the tank and removed the air box so I could get a good look, which made it possible to fish the new wire and plug thru using a long screw driver to help guide it thru... had to do it twice, took the wrong path the first time. Also, when I did mine I bought 4 bolts of the same thread size as the cover bolts, only about 4" long, cut the heads off and used them for guides when re installing the cover, kept the magnets from wanting to grab the cover. Not really necessary, but it helped.

Archived