4th and 5th gen Hand Controls Interchangeability

The starter/stop switch housing on my 1995 VFR has lost its pin which holds it stationary on the handlebar, so I'm looking to replace it and was wondering if another housing would work. It seems like the throttle tube would fit and the handlebars are the same diameter, but is the electrical plug compatible?

• Member Contributer

you can "make a pin"

find a small screw that has the head just big enough to fit in the hole..

and screw it into the broken pin area. presto! :happy:

Drill into the spot where the pin broke off with a 1/8" drill, drill in about 1/8-1/4". Then cut a piece of the drill shank and glue it in the hole. Viola, new pin.

Or, you could also wrap some electrical tape around the bar and then bolt the switch back on. That'll keep it from moving for a while.

I'm not sure if the pinout is the same on the connectors.

I would be more worried about the throw of the choke cable, IIRC the throw for the 4th gen is longer, as it's an actual choke and not just a FI fast idle control.

Well I have no need to replace the left hand controls, just the right, so the choke cable does not concern me.

It seems as if someone before has tried to repair the pin as mentioned above and botched the job, rendering it very difficult for me to fix. I would rather spend more money on a better fix, hence the question of whether other right hand controls will fit on the bar, plug up to the stock wiring harness and fit in the same pin.

• Member Contributer

Nah, you just need a new housing that looks like the one you've got. VERY common parts on many Hondas (of the same era). The switches should all swap from old housing to new (some are mounted in the top half, which you wouldn't need to replace). It's a fiddly job, but not difficult. The wiring MAY be the same on, for example, a CBR600Fi, but there could be some differences, which could prevent the new switch pod from being a plug-n-play swap. (Re-wiring is pretty easy, too, but many people don't want to deal with that...)

Ciao,

Archived