Heli bars for 4th gen vfr 750

Last week I purchased a non-operational used VFR 300 miles from my home, While I was retrun home I noticed my front left t tie-down was no longer on my bike! I pulled over only to discover a handle bar had come off! I was fortunate to have a front wheel locking caulk, but if hadn't I could have very easily lost my bike! What happened was the previous owner installed a set of handle bar raisers. Their installation kit contains closure caps over the top of the handle bar openings. When the bars were raised, in my case there wasn't enough fork tube to allow for the OEM handle bar upper jam nuts, because the bars were raised too high, and the closure caps covered the fact the bars hadn't any jam nuts. What had happened, I had a handle bar strap designed for sport bikes which allowed my bars to be secured at my bar ends, so after driving a distance my tie-downs pulled off my left handle bar completely of it's fork tube. lThis left only one loose front tie-down to my bike! Had I not had a good front wheel locking caulk, I would hate to think what could have happened. The handle bars in my opinion didn't have enough tube engagement into their fork tubes. Keep in mind the stock handle bars have only one bolt to secure then to the fork tubes, so be ware!! Keep in mind, you can't have your handle bars slipping, or that too could be a very serious problem!!!

If you must use a handle bar with out any jam nuts, think about a bar designed to have two pinch bolts-- not one! I've attached three photos. The first photo shows a handle bar riser design like the one I have. The second photo shows my left handle bar as it came off it's fork tube.

Note: My space riser isn't shown in my photo. My third photo shows a double pinch bolt design. Me I'd rather have a set of bars maybe 0.75 inches lower knowing my bars won't come off!

post-22834-0-29609900-1348866211.jpg

post-22834-0-40815600-1348866223.jpg

post-22834-0-82275700-1348866240.jpg

• Member Contributer

Hmmm, good thing Heli Bars are well designed and securely affix to the forks ;)

Looks like someone did a poor install job, since there are those who have run those risers for tens of thousands of miles with no issues.

• Member Contributer

To those who have installed the heli-bars....or who will:

How well do they work with the stock Brake and Clutch lines?

I have Steel Braided lines and I worry the Heli-bars will lift the Masters too high and the lines will be too tight.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Heli sent the replacement 94-97 bars today, and they are on the bike.

The new ones not only don't hit the fairing, but will be easier on the cables/lines. Saddly that is due to not as much rise, but not by much. That is fine by me since I really had no issues with my stockers, but the more rear ward positioning will help the kid when she rides it.

Props to Heli for being on top of things and backing their products.

Archived