Heli bars for 4th gen vfr 750

i was just on the Heli Bar website to check on a set of bar risers for my 1996 vfr 750 and their website only goes as far back to 1998 ( 5th gen ) for ordering risers.....does anyone know if the risers can be purchased for a 4th gen.... i also submitted a question online to heli bar....thanks again.

• Member Contributer

Not sure you are aware of Convertibars http://www.convertibars.com/Categories.cfm

They are nearly infinitely adjustable, although a bit pricey, the only thing you need to know is the fork diameter. The Heli-bars are a preset type of handle bar, meaning that they have a set height, offset and angle, where as the Convertibars you can determine what each of those setting will be. Some people don't like them as there are too many adjustment points that you have to worry about having tourqed down. It's an option none the less.

Cheers

bmv's clipons are an inch higher than the 94-97's, with 3/4" genmar risers you will be 1/2 inch higher than what helibars gives you. I think on a budget and some cable/brake line rerouting you will be fine.

Here is a photo from the California Sport Touring site, http://www.casportto...rods/22013.html

But as you found they are not available.

heli_hb9402vfr.jpg

These might work just as well and have a great riser. Not sure if the pricing ($129) is for a pair or a single.

http://www.fastfromt...ndlebars/Detail

HighRiseClipon_pro.jpg

• Member Contributer

I doubt you can get a substantial rise with aftermarket clipons for the 4th gen as the fairing pocket is so tight. I bought a used set of LSL superbike bars and clamps but the Spiegler website say that fairing modifications are needed. I thought about going naked, but to do that on a bike with good plastics still seems silly. Better to just get a Street Triple.

• Member Contributer

I have a pair I'll let go cheap... however... there is a slight bend to them.. looks like the person who sold them to me used tie-downs on them once upon a time.. I was less than happy to say the least. NO clue if they could be corrected or not - emailed heli once, but they never replied.

• Member Contributer

3/4 " is all you can go before the switch gear starts hitting the fairing when bars are turned full lock (genmar) Even then you'll need to fiddle with things a bit to get it just right although brake/clutch hoses should be long enough(barely)

• Member Contributer

Well, an option I'm going to try is a set of 5th GEN bars. They are about 3/4 in higher and a bit closer. Flipping them left to right (and vice-versa) may even get you a bit more.

• Member Contributer

Not sure you are aware of Convertibars...

Unfortunately, they do not fit a 3rd-gen. It's been so long since I tried fitting mine I cannot recall exactly what interferes with what, but I went through quite an effort to get raised bars on my FP, and the Convertibars did not make the cut.

(Might fit a 4th-gen, which has a different fairing design, though.)

There's not much unique about Helibars--if they used to make them for the 4th-gen, then someone else's similar design should also work. If you're desperate, just buy a used set from eBay with the same 41mm ID and try 'em out.

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

Not sure you are aware of Convertibars...

Unfortunately, they do not fit a 3rd-gen. It's been so long since I tried fitting mine I cannot recall exactly what interferes with what, but I went through quite an effort to get raised bars on my FP, and the Convertibars did not make the cut.

(Might fit a 4th-gen, which has a different fairing design, though.)

There's not much unique about Helibars--if they used to make them for the 4th-gen, then someone else's similar design should also work. If you're desperate, just buy a used set from eBay with the same 41mm ID and try 'em out.

Ciao,

Good to know. I just figured they were not a "preset" shape and therefore could be made to work.

Cheers!

• Member Contributer

Well, an option I'm going to try is a set of 5th GEN bars. They are about 3/4 in higher and a bit closer. Flipping them left to right (and vice-versa) may even get you a bit more.

Thats what I did, and then raised the bars about a 1/4 in above the triple. When I turn the bars all the way right, the fairing hits the light switch and turns the high beam on. That is as high as I could raise the bars.

• 2 months later...

I know this thread is a litle bit old, but I thought that it would be best here. Heli posted on the "other site" that they wanted a 3rd/4th gen to do R&D on so they could bring back the Heli-bars. I contacted them and worked out the details. I took my bike up to them on Sept. 3rd, and they just posted that they are having a limited production run. So, if you want them, go for it. I pick up my bike on the 14th and will have about a 4 hour ride (mostly slab) back home to test them out. I'll post up a review once I get home. Glad I could be of assistance to the 3rd/4th gen community. Anyway here is the website.

http://helibars.createsend1.com/t/ViewEmail/j/5B45DA4C23F89E4E/36E7AF62DEC24062F6A1C87C670A6B9F

Also from their website:

1990 - 1993 http://www.helibars.com/product/vfr750-1990-1993

1994 - 1997 http://www.helibars.com/product/vfr750-1994-1997

Same pictures, just different part numbers.

I received an email from Heli yesterday stating they were going to be making sets ... "back by popular demand ... " is what they said.

I had emailed them inquiring awhile back. They obviously kept my email. Good on them!

Not too sure if I will grab up a set, the bar risers are doing their job. That and, money is a bit tight right now.

Looking forward to hearing the review .... that might change my mind.

I'm going to pick up a set since I'm sure it will help me. Not sure how the install is going to go since I'm not all that mechanical. In the meantime, will enjoy reading the reviews on these when they come in.

Everyone's going up with their bars here...what's going on?? You guys getting too old and creaky to ride a sporty bike or something?? :huh::rolleyes: ... I'm still enjoying very much my lower VTR1000 Superchicken bars I installed on my 4th gen some years ago.... :fing02:

Beck

95 VFR

So, on Friday 9/14, my wife and I drove up to ME from CT to pick up my bike from HeliBars. It’s about a 4 hour drive (220 miles) each way. I called to make sure the bike was ready, and as promised, all was good. I arrived just after 4 pm and was met by Cindy (VP - Finance) who introduced me to Harry (Owner). Harry took my wife and I around for a tour of the place. I was very impressed that pretty much everything is done on site, and nothing is outsourced oversees. He showed us where they cut all the stock that comes in, make the pieces, final machining, then welding, and finally the powdercoat, final assembly, and shipping areas. The company is small, but as Harry explained to me, they don’t need to be a huge company, he has a nice little family and he’s happy with his production.

After the “penny tour” as Harry called it, he brought me outside to my bike. Immediately I noticed that there was a huge difference in how the bars looked. When he said they were 2” taller and 1” rearward it didn’t click in my mind until I saw them on the bike. I got on and put my hands in their normal position and immediately noticed that they did what they claim to do. I was sitting more upright, and it felt good.

So, after the casual chit-chat my wife and I thanked Harry for everything and started on the trip home. We decided that we were going to stop in Kittery to get something to eat before continuing on, so we headed that way. There was about 45 miles of back roads with a few twisties. Every new corner was an opportunity to explore my new riding position. It took a few corners to get used to, but as I did, my wife had a little bit of a hard time keeping up following in the cage. The new bars felt good and the new riding position didn’t affect my ability to navigate corners. Once onto the highway, that was a different story. I have a stock windscreen, and I’m 5’4” tall. Usually the wind hits me in my shoulders and higher while riding. With the new bars, the wind was hitting me in the chest. I noticed it the most as I was cruising at highway speeds and passing 18-wheelers. The wind shear coming off of the big trucks tossed me around a little more than I was used to. Once I noticed it, I did not spend much time next to the big trucks. We stopped in Kittery for dinner and I had a chance to do a little slow speed maneuvers around the parking lot of the restaurant. There was a huge difference in my ability to control the bike at slow speeds, it felt more manageable. I was able to easily maneuver the bike in and around obstacles.

After dinner we hit the road again for the final leg of the trip home. This time we weren’t stopping so that meant that I had a good, solid 160 miles in the saddle ahead of me. Back on the highway, same issue with wind, however, I got used to it and was able to compensate pretty easily. I tried tucking in a few times, but that position wasn’t comfortable for me. Other than the comfort of the new riding position, one thing I did notice was that there was a small amount of vibration reduction in the bars. I have the HVMP bar ends, the heavy ones, and with the stock bars there was a little bit of vibration. My hands were starting to tingle around the 45 minute mark with my stock set. With the new bars I didn’t notice my hands until about 1-1/2 hours into the ride. Definitely a noticeable improvement. When I finally made it home, the only part of me that was sore was my rear end, most likely due to my stock seat (I now know one of my next mods).

Bottom line, if you are looking to make your bike more “touring” than “sport”, then I highly recommend HeliBars for that purpose.

• Member Contributer

Mine arrived Friday. Installed yesterday. Control pod hitting upper fairing on left side just before lock :( Otherwise they are great.

Mike884, you might give them a call.

Archived