lowering a 4th gen by flipping the eccentric

Sorry but i searched all the threads regarding lowering a 4th gen vfr and can't seem to find an answer to my question.....i have learned that if you flip the eccentric ( triangular pieces on a 5th gen it will lower the bike around 3/4 of an inch....i know this can't be done on a 3rd gen....i have a 4th gen and need to lower the bike just a bit, but i am not sure if flipping the eccentric on a 4th gen will work.....can't seem to find the thread that helped me figure this out last night....... please help.....thanks.

Flipping the eccentric will actually raise a 4th gen, the axle is set at 12:00 or so from the factory vs 6:00 on the 5th & 6th gens.

Have you tried to first modify the seat? Getting your legs closer together will be very beneficial, and there's room to cut the foam down as well.

• Member Contributer

As Seb said. You could make some slightly longer dogbone sideplates, though. It that what you're referring to? The eccentric adjuster is the axle carrier that fits within the swing arm. I don't know how much longer you'd need to make the side plates--but the ratio for VFR suspensions is usually around 3:1, so 5mm longer would equal 15mm lower (or thereabouts). Go too low and you'll run into clearance issues w/the shock and the hole in the swing arm, as well as scraping things on the ground. Good luck.

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

JZH, isn't the Honda suspension a rising rate suspension and that by changing the "triangle" lengths around you would also be changing the suspension rate? and therefore need to change the spring and/or shock valving too? I have always been curious about that. I recall back when the Honda Pro-Link and other link suspension systems first came to market, mostly on the Moto-Cross bikes, it was touted to have a rising rate function to help better handle the little and big bumps MX bikes encounter. (sorry I don't mean to hijack the thread)

Cheers

Archived