Guest 1997vfr750

Guest 1997vfr750

I noticed when I got home from work yesterday evening that my back tire has about a 4 inch section in the center of the tire that has cords showing. My wife and I have a big trip planned for our 15th anniversary and I cant really afford to shell out the cash on new tires. I was wondering if anyone knows where used / take-off tires can be purchased or if any of the members here might have a cheaper tire for sale. I also posted this

in the classifieds section. Also is it common to have cords showing with only 4k miles on the tires? They are Pirelli Angel ST's. Any help is much

appreciated.

Thanks everyone!

• Member Contributer

You may some luck checking a few of the race forums for take offs.

There is a member here (GR8VFR I think) hwo has does tires in western NC (Ridewnc.com I think)

I went to Jake Wilson . com and checked prices for your bike. http://www.jakewilson.com/Machine-Specs-Search/10495/6/rear

$92 for a Shinko Raven is the cheapest rear. A Pilot Power rear is $120.

I dont know where you are riding for your anniversary but since you live in TN I would sell pop bottles or mow lawns and spring for a set of Pilot Powers (PP front and Pilot Road 2 rear would be best) at the very least before I set out on a ride with a wife of 15 years who was still willing to ride with me. :goofy: A good woman is much harder to find and more costly to replace than a set of tires.

I think I gave the wrong impression on my original post. I use my bike to commute to and from work everyday. We are flying to Tahiti for a week for our anniversary not riding. With this big ($$$) trip coming up money is kinda tight. I was just looking for a cost effective option to get my bike back on the road in the meantime to have it available to drive to work. I will check out jakewilson.com for some deals. I was just thinking some of the members here may have a set of tires I could purchase cheap enough to get me back on the road. Thanks again for the help guys

Here is a pic of the tire! Keep in mind this tire only has about 3500 miles on it. It looks alittle extra scuffed due to it spinning pulling up the ramp into the shed I have it parked in at the moment but, if you will look you can see the cords I was refering too.

post-22242-0-61460800-1340584899.jpg

• Member Contributer

I have about 2 tmac on my tires (3,500 miles) and I am far from being done with my Pirelli Angels. It seems you have mostly straight road on those tires but still, it should not be done already. Is your rear tire very out of balance? Do you ride hard?

You have a 7th gen VFR and you can't afford a pair of tires?

I thought this, also, but didn't want to be too critical. Everybody has their own idea of what is acceptable.

When you think about the fact that your life, or serious bodily injury, is potentially hanging onto two spots on the road not much bigger than your handprint, at any given time, you'd think it would be a higher priority. Just one of those areas of contact goes to hell, and it's going to be a bad day.

If you're unhappy with the life of the tires, choose another manufacturer.

I have heard more than a few people getting only 3-4 thousand miles out of a set of Pirelli Angels.

Buying a cheap tire right now as a stopgap measure is a false economy.

A used race takeoff is going to evaporate quickly.

So far I haven't heard anyone complain about short tire life from the Michelin Pilot Road 2's or 3's.

I have gotten 12-14000 kilometers from my michelins, or About 8,000-ish miles.

You have a 7th gen VFR and you can't afford a pair of tires?

Its not that I cant afford them! I was just looking for a cost effective alternative for now. I just dropped a major chunk of change on the upcoming trip I have planned and would like to spend as little as possible for the time being. Between the new house we just finished and the 15th anniversary trip the extra money is alittle harder to let go of. Thanks!

I have about 2 tmac on my tires (3,500 miles) and I am far from being done with my Pirelli Angels. It seems you have mostly straight road on those tires but still, it should not be done already. Is your rear tire very out of balance? Do you ride hard?

Normally ride somewhat aggressive but, these tires have had a fairly easy life. If I am in a faster riding mood usually I take the zx-10 out. I feel like this rear tire must have had something wrong with it from the begining. I have always heard great things about the angels but, never really felt the confidence in this particular set. I even felt the factory RoadSmarts gripped better than these tire ever have. I think maybe the pp/pr2 might be my next option.

• Member Contributer

Disregard my post and link. that is for tires sized for a 4th gen. I looked at your screen name and not at the forum this was posted in.

keep or disregard my advice on the wife, depending on how demanding she is after Tahiti. :laugh:

Disregard my post and link. that is for tires sized for a 4th gen. I looked at your screen name and not at the forum this was posted in.

keep or disregard my advice on the wife, depending on how demanding she is after Tahiti. :laugh:

LOL, will re-evaluate her after the trip!!!! :idea3:

A friend on another forum posted this little blog, he doesn't have a VFR but a Connie that he has ridden a lot in the last 2 years. He's pretty much 2 wheels only.

http://slightlean.bl...ring-tires.html

Here's also his opinion of the shinko verge

http://katriders.com...22&postcount=28

http://katriders.com...51&postcount=31

This is just his opinion, but having ridden with him around Virginia last October I can say he likes a brisk ;) pace.

I have Pirelli Angels STs and I'm no where near that much wear after closer to 8k but I always check my pressure every week and ride at the listed values on the tires. I love the tires in the wet they always seem to stuck to the road. BikePierParkRainRide.jpg

I have a PR2 in 190/50 with a couple thousand miles and a plug in it. Kept it as a 3rd spare. For ship plus 2bucks gas to take it to ups you can have it if you want.

Archived