Stator cover gasket questions?

ki-speed

• Member Contributer

Removing original stator (2003 with 60,000 miles) and installing new Rick's stator.

I have a new gasket ready for the job. The service manual reads like (and has a diagram) that makes it sound like you only use gasket sealant on a couple of places / positions. Is that true or do you use a little sealant on the entire surface where they mate (on both sides / surfaces)?

What sealant do you recommend?

Do you use a little sealant where the gasket (that the wires go through) fits into the groove / opening?

Thanks for any help.

Mark

Definetly use some sealant on the wire grommet. Don't need much.

Also where the upper and lower engine block halves meet.

take a couple of VERY long metric bolts with the correct thread and cut the heads off of them. Thread them into the block and use them as guide pins to put the new stator and cover on. Once the magnet from the rotor gets ahold of the stator it will yank it in, and it it's cockeyed, you're in trouble. The long bolts help it go together smooth and straight.

• Member Contributer

If you have trouble removing the old gasket, be careful scraping the sealing surface - it's easily gouged, especially with a steel scraper. On mine I used liquid gasket remover and just wiped off the remaining gasket leaving the surface pristine.

I re-used the old gasket right before TMac and left a puddle of oil all over NC ans Tenn. Took it off hwn I got home and ran a small bead of rtv around the surface and a blob on the grommit and no more leak. (i am pretty sure it was the grommit that was leaking.)

Archived