It doesn't really do it all, after all

Hvrnaut

I have a 5th generation and sometimes almost fight the weight around town and definately drag the motor being in to high a gear at times. But I know I wouldn't be happy with another bike even in those conditions because I feel comfortable with the solid feel and know I can find the power I need with a quick downshift. I may be less demanding of a bike than a lot of members here but what I want most out of any ride is to feel comfortable and enjoy those minutes or hours. As long as you feel that control and ease I wouldn't do anything, if not you might have to make some changes. Or if Honda needs to change something because a lot of owners are talking about problems, we should all hope they will make those improvements.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oops, sounds like I've been a little too harsh and left a bad impression. Let me recap the positives:

1) Slow speed handling is great.

2) Stop and go is easy.

3) Upshifting under full power without releasing the throttle is great. Yes, I know quickshifters do the same.

4) Everyone has talked about the power limitation in first and second, but it is easy to work around this at 20-40+ by simply dropping to 1st. The bike matches the RPM and does a perfect downshift. I was never confident enough to try that on my 6th gen, though with the powerband differences I didn't need too. A quickshifter doesn't do that.

5) When I'm in the twisties (keeping that aggressive factor up) and in sport mode, it does a really good job of picking the right gear.

6) It's easy to go back and forth between automatic and manual. I'm glad to hear that the '12's are going to automatically return to automatic (sometimes I forget that I left it manual).

7) If you're spacey like me and forget that it is in manual mode, it still downshifts when it reaches its lower limit.

8) Similar to #7, I never come to a stop and have to rock the bike back and forth to get it in first gear (a problem I had with the 6th gen; yes I know I'm supposed to downshift before I stop, but stuff happens).

9) Unlike the mode button, the manual buttons are very easy to reach.

10) In D, the shifts are very smooth with passenger. No helmet knocking.

11) Unlike my 6th gen, it never decides to pop out of second gear and land in neutral.

...one last negative...

1) After 3200 miles, I still will ride up to stop signs and have a brief moment of panic when I can't find the clutch and shifter. I guess that's not Honda's fault.

No bad impressions here ,also just commenting, most members enjoy the ride but occasionally have to vent and this is a great support site to even do that. Many will also use your comments to check out their impressions of the 7th if considering a purchase and that might help them decide on the VFR. I know Idid that research before I got my 5th generation and haven't looked back. Mike

Allright, the bike still has me interested. I rode a concours 14 today and it was awesome but a lot of bike, maybe too much.

I had a 01' VFR and disliked it very much. The windblast was very very noisy so I put the tallest screen I could find on it. I think it was a national cycle or cheetah. I've been looking for a picture but I can't find one. It created so much turbulence I thought it was going to knock my head off. I'm 5' 10". Traded it for my beloved XX and for whatever reason my XX with a ZG sport touring screen was smooth as glass.

So the first thing I need to know about the 1200 is how the wind noise/turbulence is vs the older VFR's

Allright, the bike still has me interested. I rode a concours 14 today and it was awesome but a lot of bike, maybe too much.

I had a 01' VFR and disliked it very much. The windblast was very very noisy so I put the tallest screen I could find on it. I think it was a national cycle or cheetah. I've been looking for a picture but I can't find one. It created so much turbulence I thought it was going to knock my head off. I'm 5' 10". Traded it for my beloved XX and for whatever reason my XX with a ZG sport touring screen was smooth as glass.

So the first thing I need to know about the 1200 is how the wind noise/turbulence is vs the older VFR's

Taller wind screens will only increase turbulence, unless it's higher than your head. For smooth air you want lower wind screens that direct the turbulence at your chest and leave your head in the steady undisturbed air flow. Wind noise comes from the turbulence along the bottom edge of the helmet. The only cure is ear plugs. You may find a windscreen/helmet combination that reduces win noise, but not to the point of not causing permanent hearing damage. If you can't do ear plugs then cut your wind screen as low as possible.

I have the Honda double windscreen, set 1/2 way for summer, and all the way up for winter. I don't getting any buffeting until about 110 mph or so, which usually I'm behind the windscreen at that point. Much less turbulent than my 6th gen. For those wondering, I bought 7th gen for the comfort, the DCT, and more power (in that order). My bike came with the saddlebags which I didn't want, but after having them, I've learned that my bike is much more convenient and I use it even more.

The taller ZG Sport touring screen on my XX is excellent, No more turbulence than stock but gets the air just high enough to quiet things down considerably. The one for the VFR looks similar except very ugly IMO. Anyone tried a laminar lip?

I think the best advice I received is to definitely appreciate what this machine does really well, and not to dwell on the small things.

I agree with the advice, but it is the fact that so many of the issues are just small things that makes it so frustrating. For a first gen, Honda made a really good bike--so good that it is perplexing why they didn't do just a tiny bit more to make it an incredible bike.

My major complaints are software-related. Software that they went way out of their way to prevent us from tweaking. The throttle-based adaptation of the DCT shift pattern is just plain dumb. "Oh, I see that you are holding the throttle wide open. You probably want me to downshift and hold a higher RPM before upshifting, but I really don't feel like doing either at the moment. I'll make you deal, the next time you want to do this, I'll do what you want, but only if you don't wait too long before trying again.", says the stupid DCT shift logic.

I've not had any problems with my DCT, although I may not ride as aggressively or sporty as some other members. For me, the DCT is near flawless. It's intuitive; it just reads your mind and knows exactly what you want. I enjoy toggling from auto to manual and sport to “D” mode, all on the fly. It just shifts so fast. True, there is a brief lag when switching from sport to “D” at medium to full throttle, but I guess that might just be in the programming. For me, I really love this bike. I hope you get the issues sorted out to your liking.

I have to say that I made the jump to the VFR after riding an easy GS500. It's not a 250, but it had plenty of power, but that's all perspective. Psych 101: perspective is reality to the individual. I've wanted the 6th Gen 800 ever since I've been introduced to motorcycles. I'm pretty sane and took my time, learned to ride, gave myself a few years of experienced, grew out of the teens and 20s. Let me tell you, it's been a long time coming. Even when I did finally get it, it was a difficult decision to make for lots of reasons.

After riding it for a while, I have to say that yes, compared to relatively forgiving bikes, a bigger bike, whether it's the 800, 1200, or anything more than a 500, throttle control is key. I was torn apart after buying the 800. It was a "big" machine. It was "torque-y". It was a pain at slow speeds. Here I was, riding my dream bike, and feeling like I've made a horrible purchase. But I stuck with it.... and I learned to ride it. Just because someone has years of riding experience doesn't mean he'll know how to handle every bike out there. Just reading this thread shows that people have different perspectives on the same bike. Granted there are modifications here and there, but overall, it's the same machine.

I can't say that the 1200 you bought is right for you, but it seems from your last few replies, that you're going to at least give it a chance. Make those adjustments if you think it would be best. But least of all, ride it every chance you get. Take it to it's limits! And I'm not just talking about the back country you take it to hours at a time, but maybe the parking lot, where you can comfortably get into those figure eights we learned back in riding school. Heck, take it to MSF's intermediate riding school and test yours and the bike's limits there!

Hopefully that helps. From someone who hated my bike in the beginning. I absolutely love it now!

I am in love with my 2010, it is a blast to ride, is way more practical than my race replica that it replaced, and looks like nothing else on the road. I constantly get compliments on it while stopped at intersections.

• Member Contributer

Been researching it all evening now, getting a little excited too. Going to try and test ride one this week.

Get a chance to throw a leg over one yet?

• Member Contributer

Enjoy the test ride Auron. Beware the brakes... it's like hucking an anchor off the side of the machine. These bikes stop fast enough to pull up your last meal and make you pull a little circle of vinyl up off the seat.

Make sure and post up what you think! I'd be curious to see what an objective test rider would say, and judging by your previous posts you may be a bit more critical than the masses. :tour:

So I just rode a '10 w/o DCT. I have to say, that in stock trim, I was not all that impressed. It feels every bit as heavy as it's 600lb spec sheet says, contrary to every single review I've read. The motor is friggin fabulous, but this one had horrible fueling around 3-4K in all gears, worst thing I've ridden since a '98 ZX9R and very unlike a Honda. I do love how they ditched the George Jetson whiney gear driven cams! Damn 1200 now sounds like a muffeled Motogp bike, it's sp sweet! Even though it vibrates quite a bit aound town, it was smooth as silk on the highway, as smooth as my XX. I didn't like the way it turned though, I didn't hit any canyons but it just feels so long and bulky. Suspension on the highway is also pretty rough, not what I'd expect from a $16,000 bike anyway. Shaft drive is perfect, so is the gearbox, clutch, fit & finish and I swear it's a ton faster than my bird below 8K, but I didn't take it above that. It's also very comfortable for a sportbike and just a set of Helibars and the right seat away from being far better than my XX.

Overall, if I was looking for a direct XX replacment, I'd probably get one with the DCT and be forced to mod it out, but today I've decided to move on from sportbikes. I rode a Tiger 1050 and friggin loved it. So I've now test ridden a 1200RT, C14, ST1300, FJR1300, Tiger, FZ1, and V12. Easy choice for me, hoping the Tiger can hold up for the next ten years.

• Member Contributer

The tiger's are really nice for sure. I had test ridden one but I didn't care for the position much.

Was this a 2012? I'm surprised at the fueling thing if it is... the 2010's that's pretty well documented.

The stock suspension settings do suck. Agree with you there haha!

Good luck with el Tigre!

• Member Contributer

Well, yes and no.

The fueling issue is a simple fix if you're cheap like me and don't mind your gear selector reading 3,3,3,4,5,6... It's two wires you splice to a third.

However, for me, getting to the wires the first time and peeling off lower mid cowl, lower cowl, upper cowl, tank cowls, mid fairing, fairing and fuel tank was the &*($6 about the project. Whole thing too 10hrs... including 2 hours with a woman who WAS NOT colorblind telling me which wires she thought were right.

Glad I did it though, made the bike a lot more linear for power delivery.

There's some gripes I've got about it, and honestly, being a Honda I expected better. However, working in a machine shop and with engineers all day, they did get a lot of stuff right straight out of the box.... unfortunately, the things they borked are pretty obvious things.

My personal expectations are the 2012's are that the bike be far more refined. This bike sold me on its potential... what it COULD be set up exactly like I want it. For me that outweighed the cost vs. Ducati or BMW... but I paid 12k for mine as opposed to 18 and up for the others brands like I'd like to see them equipped. Left a lot of room for improvements in my yearly budget.

If everyone's stock 2010 has those hick-ups, that's just sad. Shame on you Honda if that's the case.

It's the case...

No, it's not. :wink:

Archived