so...talk to me about water pumps: VF500F

WGREGT

I've noticed a little 2"-3" puddle of oil right near the kickstand after parking the VF500F lately. Figured since it was oil-like it might be dripping from the chain after a lube or might be the pushrod seal on the clutch that I fixed once already.

Got under it today, and I see oil forming at the weep hole on the water pump. I wiped it clean and haven't seen it drop (yet) but I could stick a dry finger on it and get oil from it that way. MIGHT not be dripping enough to form a drop yet, so the puddle could be coming from the pump itself at the base...I assume there's an o-ring in there somewhere? It's wet right above the frame crossbar where the kickstand joins it too looks like.

So...the microfiche does not show a listing for the water pump. It has a number for it, but that number is not in the description below, which usually means it is no longer available, right? Anyone know if you can still get a water pump for these? Part number if so?

Only 16K on this one, which is disappointing. I have bikes with 80k on them on the original water pump.

Does a weeping hole on the pump automatically mean "Cannot be fixed. Must get a new pump?" Anyone ever have an O-ring inside go bad, have a leak by the kickstand and thus cause the weeping as well? Just trying to get a handle on my options. Thanks gang.

I checked again...looks like it's coolant for sure. And the weep hole still hasn't dripped, but I do have a drip/puddle from the bottom of the water pump, right above the kickstand/where the screw for the lower cowl goes in. So...if the o-ring (assuming there is one?) in the pump fails and is replaced, does the weep hole stop weeping too?

I don't think you can get a brand new one (except if you find one NOS), but there are plenty of second hand spares out there. The VFR400 NC24 also uses the same water pump body (ML0 as Honda model code in latest part number), so this widens the search net.

You can find the part number (including supercessions) here at CMS's web site - http://www.cmsnl.com/honda-vf500f-500-interceptor-1984-usa_model1110/partslist/E++09.html#results

I'm not sure of the sealing arrangement inside the pump - replacement would most likely mean pressing out the shaft/impeller from the pump, possibly destroying the bearings if they are roller/ball.

Jake-

You da man. I just ordered 2 new o-rings (the bigger one and the smaller 1" one) from the stealer. If this doesn't work, and yours are in good shape, I very well may take you up on it. Thanks for the offer, and I'll get back with you in a bit.

Hopefully this is a simple o-ring fix. Check out Section 6 in the FSM.

You ever had the weep hole leak on you? Happen to know if the only way to fix it is a new pump of not? I figure if anyone's had experience swapping one of these out, it's you. If so, any special trips/tricks to do the job?

Well, that hole is wet, but has not dripped yet that I can tell. I can wipe it with a dry finger and get a little (and I think that's oil coming from there) but the bigger dribble is from the face of the pump itself, right above where the kickstand connects. THAT legitimate drip appears to definitely be coolant.

Got it. I'd follow the FSM. Pull the pump, inspect and if okay reinstall with new o-rings. I have a hunch the pump, especially given the low mileage, is fine.

Sure hope you're right. I'll post results. O-rings here tomorrow. Probably doing the swap this weekend if all goes well.

• 3 weeks later...

Pulled out the water pump just now, swapped the o-rings (2) and the one on the water pipe, though I didn't need to and I didn't need to remove it to do the job, but I had it already so I swapped it out too.

And...I let it idle a bit, and got one drop (so far) from the weep hole, which is odd since it didn't drip before. The leak from where the front cover joins the body of the water pump seems to have stopped with the large o-ring swap.

So...I guess I should see how it goes tonight with a clean towel under it, and after I ride it a bit this week. But I guess I should see about the availability/condition/price of that pump you offered, Jake, just in case. Hate to have to do this all over again, but I may not have a choice...

• Member Contributer

I won't have time this week but I can dig it out next week and let you know.

-Jake

• Member Contributer

Make sure you use anti-freeze that is silical free.

Probably the best deal is to buy it by the gallon pre-ixed from a Honda auto dealership.

The silica can act as a sandpaper and prematurely wear the pump shaft/seal.

Bad news: Still leaking from the weep hole. My only recourse is to plug it with a screw since I don't think there's anything you can do internally to the pump, but I don't really wanna do that. So looks like I still need one to swap out.

• Member Contributer

Bummer!

With such low mileage I would have thought the water pump would be in okay shape.

I wonder if the previous owner didn't indeed follow the correct specs (silicate free) for the coolant.

You don't want to plug the weep hole! It's there for a reason!

It keeps your coolant separate from the engine oil.

Plugging the weep hole will cause the area, which is normally empty, to fill with coolant and pressurize to 16 PSI. Next thing you know, coolant is migrating into your crankcase along the water pump drive shaft!

While I've never seen your particular water pump. Usually the impeller is just pressed then swaged onto the shaft. Since the pump is shot anyway, I'd be inclined to grind/machine off the swage, press the shaft out, clean up the shaft, then see if I couldn't come up with off-the-shelf bearings and seals and rebuild the thing myself. Reinstall the impeller on the shaft by tapping the end of the shaft, pressing the impeller back on with 609 Loctite, then install a washer and bolt to pinch the impeller.

That's what $240 rebuild service will buy you. Maybe your circle of friends has someone who could do this for you. If not, I'd be willing to bet your local machine shop could do it cheaper with you sourcing the seals and bearings.

It would be worth investigating. Good luck.

Archived