Head Lamp Replacement - 6th Gen

Willy

• Member Contributer

Alternate thread title: How many idiot mechanics does it take to change a headlamp?

Geez... I'm shamed for asking but...

I've had a pair if Sylvania lamps sitting on my bench for weeks waiting for a few minutes to replace the OEM units. I've read the threads and thought I would go ahead and give these a try. Despite lifespan I think visibility is worth the trade-off.

Yesterday i have time. I read the service manual and start into it. I'm only replacing the low beam lamps. I removed enough plastic so that I can easily reach each plug. I've tried to pull the electrical socket off the back of the bulb. It is not wanting to come off the lamp.

Is there a lock tab on that plug? I don't see one but it is "dark in there" and I've never seen one close enpugh to be sure. The manual refers to a lock spring or retaining clip but that is under the dust cover from the drawing (my interpretation of the drawing).

I'm assuming the sequence is; 1) pull the plug off back of bulb, 2) remove dust cover, 3) remove retaining clip, 4) remove and replace lamp.

Seems simple but I have pulled pretty hard on th plug and my intuition is that I've overlooked something.

Thanks for any advice - and be nice as I know this is a bonehead question.... OK - no need to be nice...

Ernie

• Member Contributer

Last summer at Nelson we had a gen 6 with a bulb out and a replacement was located. One after the other of us tried to get that plug off the back of the bulb. Bottom line is that there are two tabs, one each on opposite sides of the plug, which you will have to *really* squeeze together to get to release. It took 8 of us trying to finally get it to let go (the joke at the time was "how many VFRD members does it take to change a lightbulb" :ph34r:). Once the plug is off, follow your sequence - pull back the dust cover and release the retaining spring holding the bulb in place in the lens housing. Fortunately the plug goes back on the bulb easier than it comes off.

• Member Contributer

Yup, gotta squeeze the connector before it will come off. You'll feel where it can be squeezed fairly quickly.

• Member Contributer

Well Ii feel somewhat redeemed as a grasshopper mechanic. Thanks guys. I'll give this a shot! Ernie

• Member Contributer

Went through the same thing on my 5G last weekend, even though I've done it numerous times, you really need small hands to squeeze both sides of that plug. A bit of a PIA!

• Member Contributer

Yup it was a PIA. But just finished it up. The tabs are not that apparent visually or even by feel. But once they 'snap' it's a piece of cake. I installed the Sylvania Silverstar Ultras. I'm hoping I'm a lucky one and don't have to swap those out too frequently. They definitely do shed more light.

Anyway, main point is to say thanks for the help - thanks very much!

Ernie

Archived