GPS Mounting problem

tc339

I just got my RAM mount in the mail and have come across an issue with installation.

I ordered the steering stem powerlet accessory plug which I have not mounted yet, and it looks like with my tank bag on, and the GPS in a place where I can see it, there wont be enough room to stick a plug in because the RAM mount blocks it.

I dont want to mount the GPS to the left handlebar because I am going to mount a camera there. Is there any way to be able to make room? or will I have to buy a different powerlet plug to place elsewhere.

Qt7d0.jpg

• Member Contributer

or tilt the gps mount a bit right and tilt the bracket that holds the unit a bit left....

From this view, there 's still enough room for you to adjust the mount kit:

gallery_15942_4356_511803.jpg

And if can not do as above suggestions, you can add a shim-plate between the bike frame and the mount kit, so that the mount kit could be raised a bit (up on your shim plate thickness)

You just need to have the clamp bkt more upright, there are different lengths available.

I have the longest arm available and due to my large tank bag if I move the arm forward more it becomes difficult to see. I actually just noticed so the powerlet site that they have right angle plugs, which may fix my problem.

• Member Contributer

Get some extra balls...................errrrrrrrrrrrrr a barbell extension.

med_gallery_2144_2760_204565.jpg

Here I used a short arm on the bottom but you could easily use a medium RAM arm instead for even more clearance.

You can also consider the making of my camera mount. The lower ball of your Ram mount could be raised by the steel pipe as below photos. For sure the would be no obstruction:

_DSC9177.jpg

_DSC0161.jpg

Archived