Chain cleaning, what's your regimen?

Hello, Down here in Mexico its kinda hard to get special products, i have a can of chain libricant (cant remember the name) but i want to know what would be good to give the chain a good clean first... friends tell me to use fuel/gasoline, other mentioned petrol... i seen someone posted WD40. i want to clean the chain with a brush and then lube it. gasoline would be safe? or there is risk of damage

OEM's used to recommed kerosene. I haven't seen it in print in a while, but then again haven't really looked. I've used it before and it seems to work well. It is supposed to be safe for the o-rings and not have a low flash point like gasoline.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

I have never cleaned my chain and got 40k miles on the original chain. 90w gear oil smeared with a sock every 600 miles. Most important to keep it oiled when raining or washing to prevent surface rust.

I do the same, except use a small HF pressure oiler to apply the juice after each ride. Afterwards, I wipe with a rag and all is clean again. Fling isn't bad as far as gear oil is concerned. Switched to 90w after getting tired of chain lube picking up road grit.

• Member Contributer

Clean with WD40 and then apply 90W gear oil every thousand miles. Use Teflon spray or any available chain lube at least once between gear oil applications. Adjust as necessary.

I have never cleaned my chain and got 40k miles on the original chain. 90w gear oil smeared with a sock every 600 miles. Most important to keep it oiled when raining or washing to prevent surface rust.

I do the same, except use a small HF pressure oiler to apply the juice after each ride. Afterwards, I wipe with a rag and all is clean again. Fling isn't bad as far as gear oil is concerned. Switched to 90w after getting tired of chain lube picking up road grit.

90 weight for autos and trucks does have a cleaning agent in it, Marine 90 weight actually offers a more Longevity film base, while doesnt offer the cleaning effect. the cleaning effect sacrifices the film base.

I used to see alot of sprocket wear, with dry lubes , Teflon llubes, even 90 weight. Nothing seemed to quelch that wear I thought it was Hopeless. Motorex 622 strong green can(not available in california) offers a extremely heavy film base, really quelches metal to metal contact. In comparison to a Blue label or Wax, its easier to work with cause, not a tacky glue and cleans up easily with wd40.

After screwing around with street lubes, Ive been on this stuff for about 7 or 8 years Couple hundred thousand miles, best stuff on the market to make sprockets last!!

Archived