Chain cleaning, what's your regimen?

So I must admit, in the past, I've been a bit lax with chain maintenance. I don't keep records on how long they last, I just slap on a new one with sprockets when it's time, and tighten whenever required.

As far as lubing is concerned, I do that a lot, so the area around my chain is usually pretty grungy. On the road, on long multi-day trips, I lube it at the end of every day.

But for cleaning, I've always been a total slacker.

I recently bought a Grunge Brush off Fleabay, waiting for it to arrive.

So my question is, for those of us who actually clean their chains, what do you use, and how do you use it? WD40? Simple Green? Kersosene? Diesel? Varsol?

06SimpleSolTheGrungeBrush_450.gif

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

I wipe it down with a rag and re-lube every 500 miles with DuPont Teflon Chain Saver. The chain saver doesn't fling, so other than the chain itself, there isn't much that needs cleaning.

6155d1312846092-chain-lube-31qhmuxhh6l__ss500_.jpg

Once or twice per season, I use the DuPont degreaser.

41ydyyM3oDL._SS500_.jpg

This is my first bike with a chain, but this routine has worked for 19K miles so far. Chain still looks good.

I just take a rag and some wd40, no reason to make it inspection clean. I use a very heavy film base Lubricant, thats why Im still running the rear stock sprocket at 100,000 miles. I did replace the front sprocket at 53,000 miles, and it showed very little wear matched to a new one, could have easily went another 10,000 miles.

Actually that original front, I saved it, cause its still has life if I dont feel like spending $50 on a new one.

• Member Contributer

Keep it quick and simple. Spray with WD40, wipe with a rag, spray with your choice of chain lube.

I spray some wd-40 on a rag and wipe down the chain. Spraying directly on chain may flush lube from inside o-rings, which should be avoided.

I then use a clean, dry rag to wipe down again to remove any remaining wd-40.

Now it's time to add chain lube, preferably after getting chain warm by riding a few miles.

I also use the DuPont multi-purpose lube, but have yet to find any of the "Chain Saver" mentioned above.

Cleaning the chain is a 3-4 times a year deal, depending on riding conditions, but I lube every 200-300 miles.

• Member Contributer

On a related note...how often do you guys find you need to adjust the chain? I think I have only needed to do it twice in 19K miles.

• Member Contributer
I wipe it down with a rag and re-lube every 500 miles with DuPont Teflon Chain Saver. The chain saver doesn't fling, so other than the chain itself, there isn't much that needs cleaning.

As far as I can tell from the MSDS sheets, Dupont's Chain Saver is the same as their Multi-Use lubricant that Maddog mentioned, which is what I've been using for a while. Lowes carries it, as does Amazon, Ace Hardware's on-line superstore, and a host of other places.

I just soak a rag in the stuff, grab the chain underneath the swing arm and wipe while rotating the tire until it's clean.

If I'm feeling particularly dainty, I'll put on latex gloves to keep it off my hands.

On a related note...how often do you guys find you need to adjust the chain? I think I have only needed to do it twice in 19K miles.

For me when I get a chain that actually measures the slack the same all round. I adjust when installed then a couple 100 or less, then a little maybe about half life(1000K). Then the next time it starts needing adjustment is telling me to order a new chain.

Every 500+ miles I spray chain and wipe with rag that has brake cleaner on it, the another rag with light oil.

...For me when I get a chain that actually measures the slack the same all round. I adjust when installed then a couple 100 or less, then a little maybe about half life(1000K). Then the next time it starts needing adjustment is telling me to order a new chain.

so is the half life 1 million miles (km?) or is that the whole life? Either way, you've got pass on that brand of lube.... :ph34r:

Brian

• Member Contributer

I try to lube every 500 miles. I used to get the chain clean using a degreaser first. When I mentioned it to my dealer mechanic, he said the same thing as maddog: Don't clean it beyond a simple wipe-down. It strips the lube from the o-rings. I have used several brands of chain / cable lube and something called chain wax. All seem to work fine. I'm not to picky about that.

There have been periods when I did not lube often enough. That lead to very short chain/sprocket life. Since I've been more diligent, it has need no adjustment for the last year.

btw: One year ago, because of the earthquake in Japan, I could not get a OEM chain/sprockets when I was doing an overhaul of the bikes needs. So the service manager suggested an aftermarket set. That set has seemed much more durable than OEM. That's what I partly attribute my lack of adjustment to lately. (I do not know what brand was put on but it was cheaper than OEM.)

...For me when I get a chain that actually measures the slack the same all round. I adjust when installed then a couple 100 or less, then a little maybe about half life(1000K). Then the next time it starts needing adjustment is telling me to order a new chain.

so is the half life 1 million miles (km?) or is that the whole life? Either way, you've got pass on that brand of lube.... :ph34r:

Brian

Woops.... There's a "0" missing.......ment 10,000k and it may not need it then, it usually stretches after install and stays there though most of it's life, if not adjusted to tight to start with(ask me how I know)....... but the main thing is to get a chain that is flixable at all links, and it's a witch hunt to find one........... Although I just installed the best chain for evenness since I've had this bike(41,000k).

OEM chain (110 links)(sprockets F-16 & R-43)

2ndNew chain@ 12000 ; Adjustments : 28500 ; 30000

3rdNew chain@ 31000 ; Adjustments :36500(checked 1¼ to 1½")

4thNew chain@ 41500 ;

• Member Contributer

Wipe down with a little non-chlorinated brake clean on a rag, warm the chain with a good 10+ minute ride, hit with Maxima Synthetic Chain Wax and let stand while the wax sets up. Getting about 20k miles from chains this way and sprockets look good. Trying to do this every 400 to 500 miles.

Either way, you've got pass on that brand of lube.... :ph34r:

Brian

I lube with Bel-Ray but didn't want to get into the brand thing, I lube 1st then wipe the outside plates with brake cleaner then the and oil rag.

• Member Contributer

Every 500miles clean with WD40 on a rag then spray with Würth Dry Chain Lube. It's a great product cos it doesn't fly off and dirt/dust doesn't stick to it. Chains/sprockets last 30k+ and neither bike is a stranger to the upper rev range!

I use brake cleaning spray to take the gunk off then spray on chain lube, chain wax or teflon - whatever I can find or have. I usually get about 25,000-30,000 kilometres from a chain and sprockets.

I used to clean and lube it religiously (500 kilometres) but after purposely not looking after one chain/sprockets set it didn't seem to make a lot of difference. I just do it when it looks nasty now.

• Member Contributer

Thanks for this thread. I got the bike with a chain with a few workable kinks, so I've kept it. Used Motul chain clean to clean it, but thinking of going the WD40 route from now on. Using PJ1 lube for now, but thinking of going teflon chain wax next go round or try the dry stuff mentioned above.

Used a grunge brush just after I got the bike, but seemed to do nothing but move the dirt/grime around. 500-600 mile intervals seems right as long as I can keep the process bone simple. Rag, drop cloth, WD40 & Wax + 20 minutes.

• Member Contributer

I use WTK chain cleaner about twice a year.. Spray on, wait for 5 mins then spray off with water. It works great. I'll use a brush before rinsing for more grimy spots. You can see a picture of it here:

http://www.exploride...8/type/web.html

• Member Contributer

I spray WD-40 on the chain and wipe, maybe a soft toothbrush to get at the dirt. And that's it. No lube or chain wax. I used to use that stuff but the goop it left behind attracted dirt which killed the chain prematurely IMO.

I used to clean the chain after each ride but that was when I lived in the city and my weekend ride was 400km. Now I live 30 seconds from the twisties and my typical ride is 100km. So I don't wipe/clean as often. But I did wipe with WD-40 after riding in the rain.

My chain lube/wax experience was with my old CBR600. The OEM and one replacement chain, each lasted 12K km. I think the 3rd chain has 20K km on it now with WD-40 only. Not sure since that's my wife's bike. I have only used WD-40 on the VFR. I'm at 158K km now on its second chain. Side benefit, the swingarm doesn't get nearly as dirty either, but I wipe that down too.

• Member Contributer

WD40 on the chain, wipe and ride. I do use the Dupont teflon every few cleanings. I don't clean it very often though, usually when it starts sounding like it needs a clean, and after it rains.

• Member Contributer

I have tried various chain lubes (e.g. Castrol) and waxes (e.g. Maxima) over the years. Most made a mess of the wheel and surrounding bits and attracted a lot of dirt--even when applied at the end of the day and allowed to sit overnight before riding. Now I use a degreaser (Gunk) and the grunge brush once a year as part of the winterizing process, hosing out all the old dirt and grime. Then I ride for a few miles to fully dry out and warm up the chain before liberally applying the Dupont multipurpose lube (yes, another convert). It dries quickly, doesn't fling, and doesn't appear to attract dirt and grime. During the season I lube the chain every 500 miles or so--or at the end of each day on the road when touring.

I normally use diesel oil to clean the chain (by used toothbrush :ph34r: ), then flush by water, let it dry for a while, start the bike to run the rear wheel for couple of minutes (with the middle stand set), finally apply the chainlub.

Archived