Do Pirelli Tires require more wheel weights than other brands?

RollinAgain

• Member Contributer

So I took advantage of Cycle Gear's recent tire special and bought a set of Pirelli Diablo Supersports for my 3rd Gen for $190. For the price I am extremely happy with the purchase but noticed that these tires seem to require alot more wheel balancing weights than the prior 4 sets of Michelin's I used. When balancing my Michelin's I never had to use more than 3 or 4 stick-on weights but with these Pirellis I've had to use at least 7 weights per tire. Is this normal for Pirelli tires? I am not 100% positive but I believe the red dots on the tire represent the heavy spot and I positioned them opposite to the heavy spot of the wheel which was in the same general area my angled valve stems. Anyone else have similar experience balancing Pirelli's??

Rollin

• Member Contributer

No input on this but definitely gonna follow this thread. Planning on making my purchase of the same tires for my 6th gen.

Did they charge $10 for shipping and if so, was it flat rate forboth tires or $10/each?

They take more than Michelins...

A lot of Michelins which I do don't need anything.

The Cycle Gear Pirelli Diablos will not last as long as the Michelin Pilot Powers for 10.00 more. (Not the 2CT)

The Diablos don't stick as good, either. The tires are not worth the savings.

If you want to see some wheel weight usage... Try Avons.

I use a Snap-On Computer balancer to backup my comments.

I balance about six tires per week.

According to Pirelli, I researched them quite a bit before I bought my Diablo Rosso Corsa's. All their tires are built by computer controlled machines and never touched by human hands. If your rims are perfectly balanced you should not have to use any weights. They are supposed to be completely perfectly balanced. I do know this technology is fairly new and Supersports might have been made before the new production process was implemented or not made by the same system at all.

• Member Contributer

My Pirelli Strada tires took a little less weight than the OEM Dunlops (2004 bike), but more than the sister Metzler Z6's, and more than the Pilot Powers. The OEM tires had a huge chunk of lead on them and the Stradas weren't far behind.

So in order from most to least:

OEM

Pirelli Strada

Metzler Z6

Michelin Pilot Power

PR2's are on the bike I just bought, but I didn't mount them and don't know how much weight is on them offhand.

• Member Contributer

WERA 803 is correct. However ,most modern tires are so balanced that you are ,in effect balancing the wheel and not the tire. Carry on, got to go ride.

Archived